- Automotive Business
- Balance Sheet
- Bank Financial Models
- Black-Scholes -
- Capital Budgeting
- Cash Burn Rates
- Cash Flow
- Comparable Comps Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Cost Analysis
- Debt Schedule
- Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)
- Economic Value Added
- Excel Add-Ins
- Excel VBA
- Financial Markets
- Financial Modeling
- Financial Projections -
- Hedge Fund
- Healthcare Financials
- Hotel Financial Models
- Income Statement
- Industry Specific Financial Models
- Investment Banking
- Inventory Management
- IPO (Initial Public Offering)
- IT (Information Technology) Business
- Leveraged Buyout (LBO)
- Loan Amortization
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- ModelOff Samples
- Monte Carlo Simulation
- Mining Financials
- Net Present Value (NPV)
- Oil & Gas
- Options Pricing & Valuation
- Personal Finance
- Private Equity
- Real Estate Finance
- Renewable Energy Financials
- Restaurant Finance
- Return On Investment (ROI)
- Retail Finance
- Shipping Financials
- Scenario Analysis
- Sensitivity Analysis
- Solar Energy Project Finance
- Stock Valuation
- Three Statement Financial Models
- Valuation Models
- Variance Analysis
- Venture Capital
- Weighted Average Cost Of Capital (WACC)
- Wealth Management
- Ansoff Matrix
- Balanced Scorecard
- BCG Growth-Share Matrix
- Business Model Canvas -
- Business Plans
- Competitor Analysis
- Consulting Proposals
- Due Diligence
- Executive Summary
- Heat Maps
- Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- Management Consulting
- Market Analysis
- Market Research
- Market Sizing
- Nine-Box Matrix
- PEST & PESTEL Analysis
- Sales -
- Strategic Planning
- SWOT Analysis
- Waterfall Charts
- Cohort Analysis
- Design Thinking Process
- E-Commerce Financial Models
- Growth Hacking
- Lean Startup
- Lifetime Value (LTV)
- Mobile App Finance
- Raising Capital
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)
- Startup Boards
- Startup Business Plans
- Startup Cap Tables
- Startup Financial Models
- Startup Investors
- KPI Dashboards
- Startup Lifestyle
- Startup Pitch Decks
- Startup Studios
- Startup Valuation
- Leadership & HR
Startup Business Plan templates
What is a Startup Business Plan?
A startup business plan is a document dedicated to helping start-ups clarify their business idea, set down their goals, plan their strategies and ultimately, line out the potential roadmap to success.
What purposes does the startup business plan serve?
The startup business plan serves two different purposes – these are the following:
- As a management tool: outlines how yourself and your team plan to succeed.
- As a fundraising tool: Sets the stage for introduction to potential investors.
What are the contents of a startup business plan?
A startup business plan template covers different topics. These normally follow a similar sequence such as the following:
- Executive summary: explains your business proposition and lines out the contents of your business plan.
- Your organization: description of your business, who you are, what you offer as well as your goals.
- Employees: explains the key team-players taking part in your organization.
- Your customers: explains the customer trends and behaviour, as well as marketing, sales and pricing strategy.
- Your market: explains your market, your competitors and how you will defy the competition.
- Financial forecasting: all the financial information relevant to your organization- if it is a business plan used for fundraising, then funding requirements will have to be added here.
(This business plan sequence mentioned above is not one set in stone. This is a sample sequence to get an idea of how a startup business plan should be structured.)
How long does the startup business plan need to be?
There is not a standard length to follow, as it does vary depending on the purpose of the business plan (Should this be for your organization itself or for potential investors). Nevertheless, the key ideas to keep in mind as you build your startup business plan are the following:
- Keep it brief: Don’t write pages worth of redundant explanations. Get to the point.
- Be thorough enough: Convey all your ideas, but do this coherently.
- Try to be unique: Set yourself apart from your competitors.
Does the startup business plan ever change?
Your startup business plan template should constantly be updated. As your startup will experience different phases, the conditions can change and so will your strategies. For that reason, you should update the business plan when you see potential problems, update it with new strategies and further help measure your progress.
Where can I find a sample of a startup business plan template to customize?
For startup business plan templates, have a look through the catalog of tools below. There is a wide variety of startup business plan templates that are either general or dedicated to your very own type of business, so you can better run your business day to day.
Some interesting links to look at for further information on Startup Business plan templates are the following:
- All you need to start a small business: startup information book, business plan and budget templates and tools.891 remove_red_eye$34.50by Mogens Thomsen
How to Pick A Business Model That Is A Match For YouHow to Pick a Business Model That is a Match For You45 remove_red_eye
How to Avoid Disastrous New Venture Strategies10 New Venture Strategies That Often Lead To Disaster15 remove_red_eye
Building a Compelling Value PropositionPresentation, video, and notes on how to create a compelling value proposition.95 remove_red_eye
Entrepreneur ToolkitThis is the ultimate toolkit for all budding entrepreneurs, covering all basis of your business proposal.27 remove_red_eye$10.00by David Connaughton
Overview Tool for EntrepreneursTool for self assessment and overview of your business and performance.26 remove_red_eye$2.00by David Connaughton
Feedback on your Mini Business PlanGet personal feedback on your own mini business plan. The mini business plan template is a part of this tool257 remove_red_eye
How To Write A Business PlanThis video will demonstrate how to create a detailed business plan for your startup.25 remove_red_eyefreeby Ian Gordon
How to Create a Strategic Plan for Your Startup or Small BusinessThis video outlines the elements of a strong strategic plan and how to create one for your business.40 remove_red_eye
3 Important Startup Budgets - Spreadsheet TemplatesIf you can manage to make 3 different kinds of budget for your new company, you have come very far.75 remove_red_eye$10.00by Mogens Thomsen
How to Write a Compelling Executive SummaryHow To guide on how to write a compelling executive summary which includes examples of correct vs incorrect.31 remove_red_eye
The Basics of Writing a Business PlanA video on the basic components that go into a business plan for a startup or small business.21 remove_red_eye
Writing the Executive Summary of Your Business PlanThis video by Kathy Ver Eecke will describe what an executive summary is and how to write one.46 remove_red_eye
OpenFund Business Plan TemplateBusiness Plan template intended to help entrepreneurs putting together a business plan.299 remove_red_eye
How to Write a Business PlanTo-the-point business plan format methodology aimed at 15-20 slide length.984 remove_red_eye
Create an Enchanting Business PlanHere is some advice on writing a great business plan at high level.130 remove_red_eyefreeby Guy Kawasaki
- Have a Startup Business Plan Template?
Your Startup Business Plan TemplatePublish your template
Have a Startup Business Plan template to share?Publish a template
Any questions on Startup Business Plans?
The user community is here to help. Go ahead!