Publication number: ELQ-27936-1
View all versions & Certificate
Financial Modeling In a Nutshell
Financial Modeling Guide with Free Excel Model Sample
A step-by-step guide on how to design and structure a Financial Model, including Scenario Analysis and Valuation.
I remember the first model I built in 2005. It was awful: terrible design, bad structure, calculations’ drawbacks, etc. Since that time I have made dozens of different models. There were one-page high-level models, “normal,” and complicated multi-scenario fully automated ones. They were used by large
corporations, start-ups, Private Equity Funds, and Investment companies. I have learned something since 2005 and wish to share some insights into financial modelling.
The financial model can be viewed as an attempt to forecast future business dynamics. It serves the goal of evaluating investment project or the whole firm.
The most common approach to doing it is to forecast Free Cash Flow (FCF). Quick remind - there are three different types of FCF: Free Cash Flow to Firm (Project), Free Cash Flow to Equity, and Cash Flow to Lenders, which is simply principal repayment.
1. Two scenarios tied to the prospective growth rate of business;
2. Growth rate reflects Occupancy rate of rooms;
3. Revenue is divided into three business segments: Rooms, Restaurant, and Other Services;
4. Costs include COGS, SG&A, Interest, and Depreciation;
5. Debt Repayment is based on annuity;
6. Two types of CAPEX: rooms-related and management software purchase;
7. Option to calculate results with or without potential acquisition;
8. Interest rate increases in case of acquisition due to increased default risk;
9. Two WACC calculation: based on firm's data and industry average;
10.Target's EBITDA normalization is based on Target's owner salary. The underlying assumption is that this expense will no longer exist after the
- Vladimir Baydin, PhD
This business tool includes
1 Word Document, 1 Excel Model Sample
Vladimir Baydin Ph.D. MB offers you this business tool for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
Create Financial Models
You want to perform: Forecasting, Valuation, Performance Indicators, Scenario Analysis
Budgeting, Financial Analysis
- Allen Chng(last updated: 13/05/2018 01:21)
- PV Kanthi Rekha(last updated: 12/05/2018 03:15)
- Don Donowitz(last updated: 29/04/2018 07:34)
- Gershon Koh(last updated: 24/04/2018 01:52)
- Long Lê(last updated: 25/03/2018 17:04)Inspiration
- Camron Miraftab(last updated: 13/03/2018 14:45)
- Paya Danesh(last updated: 25/02/2018 09:47)
- Mustafa Hashmi(last updated: 21/02/2018 04:47)
- S Mash(last updated: 06/02/2018 16:00)
- Reece P.(last updated: 04/12/2017 14:30)
- Aaron Lane(last updated: 21/11/2017 06:43)Great insight and structural advice
- Kevin O(last updated: 27/10/2017 05:38)
People using this tool also downloaded
Stock Analysis Excel ModelAnalyze past company performance and arrive at its intrinsic value in 30 minutes or lessinvestmentfinancemodelvaluationexcelstock analysisperformance analysisfinancial markets1,518 remove_red_eye
LBO Model - Company Valuation ToolAn LBO Model to learn how to Value all types of Businesses Like a Private Equity Professionalfinancevaluationleveraged buyoutprivate equityfinancial modelinglbolbo analysislbo model1,615 remove_red_eyefreeby Jon Taylor
Microsoft Excel ShortcutsWork on Excel Faster with this checklist of excel keyboard shortcutsfinancetipsfinancial modelingexceltricksmethod137 remove_red_eyefreeby Firmex
Credit Analysis Excel Model of Project Finance with Methane/Diesel PlantHow to use a model for evaluating credit analysis within project finance.financemodelfinancial modelcredit analysisproject financeexcelspreadsheetexcel modelmethane plantdiesel plant22 remove_red_eye
eCommerce Startup Valuation: Financial Modelling TutorialTutorial on building a financial model for an e-commerce startup valuation.valuationfinancial modelstartupfinancial modelingecommercetutorialvideo tutorial111 remove_red_eye
Business Model ManufacturerA model for performing a valuation of a manufacturing companybusiness planfinancevaluationmanufacturer253 remove_red_eyefreeby Scott Beber
NPV and IRR CalculationA model for calculating Net Present Value and Internal Rate of Return.financenpvirrfinancial modelnet present valuecalculationinternal rate of return851 remove_red_eye
All in One Private Equity ModelUsed by Investment Professionals at Private Equity and IB Firmsfinancevaluationdcfevaprivate equityinvestment bankinglbofinancial statements3,421 remove_red_eye$180.00by John Swan
SaaS Excel Financial Plan TemplateA SaaS financial plan that allows you to create your own financial forecast. Suitable for startups and SMB's.financial modelstartupssaasfinancial planexcelfinancial forecastsmbsoftware as a startup431 remove_red_eyefreeby Ben Murray
Two-Stage Free Cash Flow to Equity (FCFE) Discount ModelValue the equity in a firm with two stages of growthfinancevaluationfcfefree cash flow to equityequitytwo-stage growth824 remove_red_eye
Any questions on Financial Modeling In A Nutshell?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!