- Automotive Business
- Balance Sheet
- Bank Financial Models
- Black-Scholes -
- Capital Budgeting
- Cash Burn Rates
- Cash Flow
- Comparable Comps Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Cost Analysis
- Debt Schedule
- Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)
- Economic Value Added
- Excel Add-Ins
- Excel VBA
- Financial Markets
- Financial Modeling
- Financial Projections -
- Hedge Fund
- Healthcare Financials
- Hotel Financial Models
- Income Statement
- Industry Specific Financial Models
- Investment Banking
- Inventory Management
- IPO (Initial Public Offering)
- IT (Information Technology) Business
- Leveraged Buyout (LBO)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- ModelOff Samples
- Monte Carlo Simulation
- Mining Financials
- Net Present Value (NPV)
- Oil & Gas
- Options Pricing & Valuation
- Personal Finance
- Private Equity
- Real Estate Finance
- Renewable Energy Financials
- Restaurant Finance
- Return On Investment (ROI)
- Retail Finance
- Shipping Financials
- Scenario Analysis
- Sensitivity Analysis
- Stock Valuation
- Three Statement Financial Models
- Valuation Models
- Variance Analysis
- Venture Capital
- Weighted Average Cost Of Capital (WACC)
- Wealth Management
- Ansoff Matrix
- Balanced Scorecard
- BCG Growth-Share Matrix
- Business Model Canvas -
- Business Plans
- Competitor Analysis
- Due Diligence
- Executive Summary
- Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- Market Analysis
- Market Research
- Market Sizing
- Nine-Box Matrix
- PEST & PESTEL Analysis
- Sales -
- Strategic Planning
- SWOT Analysis
- Waterfall Charts
- Cohort Analysis
- Design Thinking Process
- E-Commerce Financial Models
- Growth Hacking
- Lean Startup
- Lifetime Value (LTV)
- Mobile App Finance
- Raising Capital
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS)
- Startup Boards
- Startup Business Plans
- Startup Cap Tables
- Startup Financial Models
- Startup Investors
- KPI Dashboards
- Startup Lifestyle
- Startup Pitch Decks
- Startup Studios
- Startup Valuation
- Leadership & HR
Startup Business Plan templates
What is a Startup Business Plan?
A startup business plan is a document dedicated to helping start-ups clarify their business idea, set down their goals, plan their strategies and ultimately, line out the potential roadmap to success.
What purposes does the startup business plan serve?
The startup business plan serves two different purposes – these are the following:
- As a management tool: outlines how yourself and your team plan to succeed.
- As a fundraising tool: Sets the stage for introduction to potential investors.
What are the contents of a startup business plan?
A startup business plan template covers different topics. These normally follow a similar sequence such as the following:
- Executive summary: explains your business proposition and lines out the contents of your business plan.
- Your organization: description of your business, who you are, what you offer as well as your goals.
- Employees: explains the key team-players taking part in your organization.
- Your customers: explains the customer trends and behaviour, as well as marketing, sales and pricing strategy.
- Your market: explains your market, your competitors and how you will defy the competition.
- Financial forecasting: all the financial information relevant to your organization- if it is a business plan used for fundraising, then funding requirements will have to be added here.
(This business plan sequence mentioned above is not one set in stone. This is a sample sequence to get an idea of how a startup business plan should be structured.)
How long does the startup business plan need to be?
There is not a standard length to follow, as it does vary depending on the purpose of the business plan (Should this be for your organization itself or for potential investors). Nevertheless, the key ideas to keep in mind as you build your startup business plan are the following:
- Keep it brief: Don’t write pages worth of redundant explanations. Get to the point.
- Be thorough enough: Convey all your ideas, but do this coherently.
- Try to be unique: Set yourself apart from your competitors.
Does the startup business plan ever change?
Your startup business plan template should constantly be updated. As your startup will experience different phases, the conditions can change and so will your strategies. For that reason, you should update the business plan when you see potential problems, update it with new strategies and further help measure your progress.
Where can I find a sample of a startup business plan template to customize?
For startup business plan templates, have a look through the catalog of tools below. There is a wide variety of startup business plan templates that are either general or dedicated to your very own type of business, so you can better run your business day to day.
Some interesting links to look at for further information on Startup Business plan templates are the following:
Most popular templates
Startup Business Plan TemplateSample Business Plan Template approved by Experts.763 remove_red_eye
Building a Compelling Value PropositionPresentation, video, and notes on how to create a compelling value proposition.80 remove_red_eye
Full Startup PackageAll you need to start a small business: startup information book, business plan and budget templates and tools.609 remove_red_eye$34.50by Mogens Thomsen
Create an Enchanting Business PlanHere is some advice on writing a great business plan at high level.82 remove_red_eyefreeby Guy Kawasaki
The Early Stage Business Plan template for Disruptive e-CommercesA How-to-Build a Seed to Series A Business Plan tool alongside an excel template for you to build upon.2,387 remove_red_eye
Sample Executive Summary for InvestorsBusiness plan executive summary for first introduction to investors.1,288 remove_red_eye
OpenFund Business Plan TemplateBusiness Plan template intended to help entrepreneurs putting together a business plan.282 remove_red_eye
How to write the Perfect Executive SummaryAn overview of the key elements for an efficient executive summary to investors.510 remove_red_eye
Sample Business Plan for StartupsSample business plan illustrating required key points, using Startup Professionals as the example.2,334 remove_red_eye
How to Write a Business PlanTo-the-point business plan format methodology aimed at 15-20 slide length.1,099 remove_red_eye
Business Plan ChecklistBusiness Plan Checklist Approved by Experts143 remove_red_eye
How to build a successful Business Plan: Top 10 Do’sTop 10 Do’s and Dont's when drafting a Business Plan for your Investors during your fundraising113 remove_red_eye
How to Write a Summary Business PlanThe Essential Pieces and Some Tips on how to write a summary business plan114 remove_red_eyefreeby Suman Jung
How to build a successful Business Plan: Top 10 Don'tsTop 10 Dont's when drafting a Business Plan for your Investors during your fundraising78 remove_red_eye
How to write a Business Plan for Your App StartupFor people in the second camp- people writing a business plan for investors.86 remove_red_eyefreeby App Partner
How to Craft a Perfect Business Plan6 Key Elements to a perfect Business Plan/Executive Summary that will give a thorough overview to your business.82 remove_red_eyefreeby Trey Bowles
- Have a Startup Business Plan Template?
Your Startup Business Plan TemplatePublish your template
Have a Startup Business Plan template to share?Publish a template
Any questions on Startup Business Plans?
The user community is here to help. Go ahead!