Publication number: ELQ-86400-1
View all versions & Certificate
Monte Carlo Simulation Excel Model
Monte Carlo Model generated in excel with explanatory article included to guide you block-by-block through the code.
The Monte Carlo method is taking a pile of estimates for your inputs and then seeing what the results come out like.
Nearly all of the inputs into models are just estimates, however there is an amount of uncertainty around the estimates. If we draw values from every one of the distributions many times we can work out the probable outcomes.
The important bit is that you should run the model multiple times with new draws for the variables. 'Multiple' in this case means up to millions of times.
To make things the least complicated possible, the model demonstrating these techniques is really straightforward. From a normal distribution, 2 numbers are drawn and these are our inputs. The output is their product. The rand () function is used to return a random number as the probability and it is fed into the inverse normal probability function so that a value can be generated.
Pressing the F9 button to generate a recalculation for the workbook (giving new random numbers) never seems to give a feel for how the numbers are generating output and interacting. The other option is to write VBA code so that we can draw lots of values and then overview the whole set of outcomes.
*Originally shared on theexcelninja.wordpress.com*
This Best Practice includes
1 Downloadable Monte Carlo Model, 1 Code Explanation in PDF
Frank Gary offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
4.8 / 5 (23 votes)
- Rate this Downloadable Best Practice
Write a review
- Julio Ariel Dueñas Santana(last updated: 19/04/2021 21:25)
- Samantha (wenhua) Lee(last updated: 29/03/2021 05:52)
- Jarrod Barraza, CFA(last updated: 10/02/2021 13:55)
- Aditya Parmar27(last updated: 23/09/2020 15:07)
- Mas Agus Supriyono(last updated: 04/08/2020 04:15)
- Jahoras Victor Naibaho(last updated: 17/05/2020 00:06)
- VAIBHAV SINHA(last updated: 16/05/2020 12:26)
- Nina Hendra Putri(last updated: 03/05/2020 20:37)
- Simon Grima(last updated: 13/04/2020 05:15)
- Zübeyr Yüksel(last updated: 29/10/2019 12:50)
- Angus Nichols(last updated: 15/10/2019 01:14)
- 友妍 李(last updated: 06/10/2019 07:25)
- Amminergy(last updated: 13/08/2019 19:52)
- Martin Kraynov(last updated: 29/03/2019 07:38)
- Michael Maung(last updated: 04/02/2019 07:47)
- achmat affandi(last updated: 25/12/2018 14:17)
- Syed Nayab Haider(last updated: 24/11/2018 17:44)
- Kingsley Valentine Uzogor(last updated: 08/11/2018 02:44)
- Вячеслав Казачук(last updated: 27/09/2018 14:58)
- Mehdi SAYYOU(last updated: 10/09/2018 09:32)
- Steven Thomas(last updated: 09/09/2018 12:49)
- Alex Tay(last updated: 07/08/2018 03:29)
- Pavani Rao(last updated: 13/06/2018 10:16)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Investment Return Monte Carlo Simulation Excel Model TemplateModel to calculate the expected value and return of an investment over an investment period using Monte Carlo simulationprojectionexcelsimulationfinancial returnmonte carlo2,378add_shopping_cart$30.00by Projectify
Monte Carlo Simulation in ExcelThe model presents an example of a Monte Carlo Simulation using excel to estimate an investment's Net Present Value.investmentfinancemodelnet present valueexcel486add_shopping_cart$30.00by Big4WallStreet
BXL Integrity Checks Add-InAdd "the Holy Grail" of Integrity Checks effortlesslymodelmodelingbusiness modelingfinancial modelingexcel455add_shopping_cart$10.00by Craig Hatmaker
BXL FormatAdd corporate branding to any Excel workbook in less than 30 seconds.modelingexceladd-inmodellingformat932add_shopping_cart$10.99by Craig Hatmaker
Simulate the number of Corona virus infectionsSimulate Corona virus infection ratesexcelsimulationcovid-19corona virusinfection rates343add_shopping_cartfreeby Gary Knott
Real Estate Excel Financial Model TemplateA detailed Real Estate Financial Model brought to you by CFI to help you successfully model your development project.investmentprojectreal estatemodelingfinancial model2,488add_shopping_cart$100.00by CFI
How to Make Your Financial Model Look ProfessionalThis tool provides Before and After examples to show you how you can make your models look professional.modelinginvestorsfundraisingfinancial modelingexcel784add_shopping_cartfreeby Alexander Jarvis
Commodity Price Risk and Monte Carlo Simulation - Project Finance Excel ModelA commodity price risk model with Monte Carlo simulation within a project finance excel model.modelexcelspreadsheetexcel modelmonte carlo1,339add_shopping_cart$5.00by Prof. Ed Bodmer
2017 Finals: Word PlayExcel training/competition model from the 2017 Financial Modeling World Championshipscompetitionmodelingexcelwordpermutation496add_shopping_cart
Monte Carlo Analysis (without macros) Excel ModelThis post explains how to run full Monte Carlo analysis in Excel without macrosexcelcorrelationfinancialmodelingstatisticssimulation4,420add_shopping_cartfreeby Andrei Okhlopkov
Any questions on Monte Carlo Simulation Excel Model?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!