Last version published: 26/11/2021 14:39
Publication number: ELQ-83928-5
View all versions & Certificate
Ikigai Framework Template
An editable version of the IKIGAI Framework to filter & identify the activity that means the most to you. For job seekers, career coaches and HR Managers.
IKIGAI (pronounced ee-key-guy), is a Japanese concept dating back to the Jeian period (794 to 1185), according to Akihiro Hasegawa, clinical psychologist, associate professor at Toyo Eiwa University and author of a research paper on Ikigai in 2001.
It combines two terms: "iki" that can be translated as "alive" or "life" and "gai" as "benefit" or "worth". Hence it literally means what gives "worth to your life" or what is your "reason for being".
In French, the equivalent, according to Jeffrey Gaines, Ph.D, is "raison d'être", and in English it would be "Purpose".
Historically the Ikigai concept stems from Japanese traditional medicine. The tradition is that one's physical health is heavily influenced by the associated mental/psychological health heavily influenced by having a powerful "purpose" in life, or sense of fulfilment.
Everyone is supposed to have an "Ikigai", the difficulty is to identify it. It is said to be at the intersection of four circles:
1/ What you are passionate about -> i.e. what you love
2/ What you are uniquely good at
3/ What the world needs
4/ What you can be paid for
The combination of these 4 circles is the "IKIGAI". It is an activity that brings an intrinsic energy driving you forward in life in a natural almost effortless "flow".
See here for BBC's definition of IKIGAI: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20170807-ikigai-a-japanese-concept-to-improve-work-and-life
The other traditional potential combinations generate other equilibriums, that also have value, but that should not be your permanent state of being:
- 1/ Passion + 2/ Good = PASSION
- 2/ Good + 3/ Paid = PROFESSION
- 4/ Paid + 3/ World = VOCATION
- 1/ Passion + 3/ World = MISSION
There are also 4 other combinations when 3 out of 4 criteria are met, that are not usually labelled but which I've put a name on here:
- 1/ Passion + 2/ Good + 3/World = UNPROFITABLE RECOGNISED PASSION
- 2/ Good + 3/World + 4/ Paid = UNPASSIONATE VOCATIONAL PROFESSION
- 1/ Passion + 2/Good + 4/ Paid = WOLF OF WALL STREET
- 1/ Passion + 3/World + 4/ Paid = LOW QUALITY VOCATIONAL ARTIST
Given the difficulty for many people to find their IKIGAI, I decided to create a customisable template for any to position activities they want to test on the framework.
This Best Practice template is therefore well suited for:
- Professionals looking to change career path and find the ideal IKIGAI
- Career Coaches wanting to provide a quality tool to their clients - opening up fruitful conversations about different scenarios and possibilities
- HR Managers wanting to provide a useful tool for their employees to optimise the positioning of key high potential talents
3 examples about finding purpose (IKIGAI): https://positivepsychology.com/ikigai/
Here is also a great Tedx Talk on IKIGAI by Tim Tamashiro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk-PcJS2QaU
The Best Practice is composed of:
- 1 editable Microsoft PowerPoint Template Slide
- an attached Excel Model behind the slide to plot the Matrix
- an online & offline 13 step-by-step methodology, with pedagogical illustrations for each step.
Should you have any questions on using this top tier Job Search, Career Management or HR (Human Resources) Framework PowerPoint slide and matrix, you're welcome to reach out to me via Private Message.
This Best Practice includes
1 PowerPoint Slide Template (with attached model) + 1 Online & Offline 15 Step-By-Step Methodology
Acquire business license for $7.00
Add to cart
Add to bookmarks