Publication number: ELQ-98609-1
View all versions & Certificate
SaaS Metrics Excel Template
A standard SaaS reporting excel template for entrepreneurs to customize.
I have previously spoken about the benefits of SaaS and specifically, the recurring revenue model. The main benefit of such a model is the predictability of revenue, customer acquisition payback, customer lifetime value (CLTV) and the ability to optimize sales and marketing expenditure.
But to really benefit from the recurring revenue model, it is necessary to speak “SaaS”. The values and key performance indicators that a SaaS company keeps track of, tend to be things such as MRR, CMRR (Committed MRR), average ACV (Annual contract value), gross churn, net churn, CAC payback period etc.
I often come across companies that have a recurring revenue model but still measure bookings and billings, rather than the common SaaS metrics.
There is a great variety of blog posts that discuss SaaS and the metrics that should be measured. If you have a recurring revenue business, you must know it by heart.
It gives a poor impression when investors face a subscription based firm that still utilizes traditional, on-premise metrics to measure its performance.
Since I am often asked what a basic SaaS reporting template should include, I decided to publish a sample template that some of our SaaS firms use. Of course, all companies are different and management needs to focus on the unique aspects that are pertinent to what the business’s prime priorities are.
For example, if you use a freemium model, you must measure conversion from free to paying accounts.
If you have a land-and-expand model you should instead focus on revenue expansion KPIs, and services that have long deployment cycles that should measure CMRR conversions to MRR.
Most of the time, it is helpful to have a starting point to do this, and this template should provide the guidance to do just that.
Being able to use common SaaS language and understanding how to track common SaaS metrics is a key first step to becoming a successful SaaS business.
With the use of this model, you are already halfway there.
- Amit Karp
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel Sheet
Amit Karp offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
4.7 / 5 (48 votes)
- Rate this Downloadable Best Practice
Write a review
- Richard Forsyth(last updated: 02/08/2021 04:43)
- Viet Duong(last updated: 05/03/2021 01:36)
- Oluwatosin Olasoji(last updated: 18/02/2021 21:25)
- nmichellenguyen(last updated: 08/10/2020 18:05)
- dng992(last updated: 21/09/2020 18:29)
- Adib Basbous(last updated: 10/09/2020 07:55)
- Narelle Little(last updated: 20/08/2020 06:56)
- Shanyn Mifsud(last updated: 11/05/2020 06:57)
- Chalermsak Ninchuawong(last updated: 07/03/2020 10:44)
- Ndaki George Mpanda(last updated: 06/12/2019 15:35)
- Brian ONeill(last updated: 02/11/2019 15:29)
- Ingrid Ahumada253(last updated: 29/10/2019 01:30)
- Mohd Sharique(last updated: 18/10/2019 15:15)
- Tibor Rusiňák(last updated: 04/10/2019 12:00)
- Guze(last updated: 12/07/2019 18:56)
- Todd Stallard(last updated: 20/06/2019 22:32)
- Greg Levy(last updated: 17/06/2019 16:23)
- Abi Waqas(last updated: 08/05/2019 08:53)
- Chris Hayot(last updated: 06/05/2019 09:44)
- Fred H Nagazin(last updated: 08/04/2019 16:44)
- Ed Misati(last updated: 18/03/2019 13:45)
- Guy Klaassen(last updated: 11/02/2019 13:18)
- Joao Gago(last updated: 12/01/2019 22:02)
- Percy Bird(last updated: 28/12/2018 03:47)
- Sandar Aung(last updated: 17/12/2018 07:51)
- Manoj N(last updated: 15/11/2018 16:51)
- putra kesuma329(last updated: 24/10/2018 08:46)
- Jules B. EKOULE, MSc(last updated: 16/10/2018 20:21)
- Antoine Arbuckle(last updated: 25/09/2018 16:19)
- Tinashe Makaza(last updated: 28/08/2018 10:57)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
SaaS Financial Model: Simple Template For Early-Stage StartupsSimple financial planning tool tailored for early-stage SaaS entrepeneurs.financialmodelsimpleinvestorstartup6,338add_shopping_cart
How to Create a Real Estate Marketing Report with Sample TemplateMeasure the following 8 metrics to track the success of your marketing performance and learn to build a marketing reportsalesreportmarketingkpismetrics3,494add_shopping_cart
Financial Model for Mobile Payment StartupIncludes assumptions page, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement and valuation sheet.income statementfinancemodelbalance sheetstartup3,990add_shopping_cart
Ultimate Startup Cap Table and Return Analysis Excel TemplateSample cap table excel template with exclusive waterfall return analysis.analysiswaterfallstartupcap tabletemplate3,951add_shopping_cart
Virtual World Freemium Business Model TemplateA business model excel spreadsheet to help companies make business decisions and understand how variables interact.business planstartupfreemiumrevenue modeltemplate1,742add_shopping_cart
Enterprise SaaS and SME/Consumer Fundraising Excel ModelFor large, complex SaaS companies with enterprise, consumer and SME customers looking to fundraise.modelinvestorsstartupsventure capitalsaas4,621add_shopping_cart
Subscription E-Commerce Fundraising Financial ModelCombining an e-commerce product sales model & a subscription model to make one subscription e-commerce fundraising modelplanningfinancial modelstartupfundraisingsubscription2,315add_shopping_cart
Generic Startup Financial Projection 3 statement Excel ModelUser-friendly model for preparing a financial projection for a startup businessfinancialincome statementprojectionstatementmodel8,432add_shopping_cart
How to build an investor grade financial model for your SaaS startupMaking a financial model for your startup can seem intimidating — but it can actually be funfinanceinvestormodelingstartupearly-stage1,747add_shopping_cart
Comprehensive Restaurant Financial Excel Model Template (Pro Forma Statements for Business Plan)Complete Financial Model to Start Your Own Restaurant and Bar Anywhere in the Worldprojectionsbusiness planfinancial modelstartuptemplate8,386add_shopping_cart
Any questions on SaaS Metrics Excel Template?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!