Publication number: ELQ-84558-1
View all versions & Certificate
Self Storage - Real Estate Development Model - DEMO
A fully functional and dynamic Real Estate Development Model to assess the feasibility of a Self Storage property
NOTE: This is a Demo. The full version of this model can be purchased at:
This is a fully functional, institutional quality and dynamic real estate Development Financial Model. It was set up with the guidance of a real-estate expert. It’s a powerful model, yet, very user-friendly that will provide to the user a detailed Excel spreadsheet in which, the viability of an investment in a Self Storage property can be accessed with accuracy.
The template is monthly in nature, and it is a 100% unlocked Excel file with fully transparent formulas that can be further tailored to suit your particular needs.
• Dynamic Monthly & Annual Cash Flow: in order to calculate the key investments metrics needed to determine the feasibility of the project, and the overall value of a potential selling, the cash flow is calculated in a monthly base;
• Because is a developing project model, the lease-up forecast takes into account the fact that during the construction phase there is no or limited revenue, and the construction loan interests are capitalized accordingly with the parameters defined in the executive summary sheet
• Dynamic construction budget: the construction expenses are modeled following a s-curve (normal distribution), meaning that construction expenses are projected in a way that you have few expenses in the beginning, and then they quickly ramp up to your full project costs;
• Dynamic equity financing: unlike an existing property acquisition where you only need to take your purchase price and multiply by certain percentage and get the loan/equity amount required, this model, trough complex formulae and macros, works backwards to get the required amount and timing for Equity/loan funding.
• Construction Loan: The model assumes that first the construction expenses are funded through Equity, once we’ve funded all of our equity; we can, then start drawing construction loan tranches in order to pay for the remaining costs of the project.
• Permanent Finance: the model also covers a permanent financing, so once we actually have built out the property and the project has been stabilized, we're likely going to refinance the project if we don't decide to sell.
• The key drivers of the financial model and return metrics are shown on the summary tab. The summary tab also includes dynamic charts, which update automatically accordingly with the hold period. The Summary tab is meant to be printed, and as such the view mode is set to Print Preview by default.
• Equity Waterfall Model: the template provides a 3 tier Equity waterfall model, so the user will be able to determine how much capital the limited partner and General partner will get, and their respective rates of return;
• Scenarios: The scenarios modeling sheets provides four possible scenarios based on the Rent, Vacancy, construction Costs and exit Cap rate variance, etc. The base scenario is defined by default with the inputs set on the Investment Summary and the Assumptions sheets.
• The user only needs to input information into the dark blue font cells in the Investment Summary and Assumption sheets. If the contents of a cell are colored black, it means that is a formula.
• The template is provided with information from a hypothetical property, for demonstration purposes that must be erased for a real property valuation;
• The investment summary sheet provides an overview of the property based on several key metrics and assumptions.
• In the Assumptions sheet the user can define the remaining drivers;
• To assess the sale value of the property, this model is designed to capitalize the NOI of the 12 months subsequent to that of the disposition divided by the defined exit cap rate;
• The maximum horizon for this model is ten (10) years;
• For Revenue the user must provide the current rents, the type, quantity and square foot of the different units, taking into account the rentable area
• For Construction Budget the user needs to set the budget and timing for different expense categories.
This business tool includes
This Best Practice includes
Jair Almeida offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
Evaluate the feasibility of a Self Storage project from an investment/investors point of view taking into account various parameters such as operational, leverage capital expenditures, equity structure, etc..
Real Estate Development of a Self Storage project
Does not work well for non-real estate businesses.