Last version published: 12/09/2020 08:29
Publication number: ELQ-35061-4
View all versions & Certificate
Depreciation/Amortisation Excel Calculator
Tool to calculate Depreciation/amortisation using straight-line method on asset by asset basis including projections.
PURPOSE OF TOOL
User-friendly Excel tool to calculate depreciation/amortisation charges on a straight line basis together with related cost and accumulated depreciation balances, cash impacts and gains/losses on disposal for any month-end. This tool helps to automate the deprecation accounting calculations and intended as a supporting working file for the General Ledger depreciation postings.
The tool follows good practice financial modelling principles and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations.
The tool is generic and not industry-specific. The key outputs include:
- Year to date (‘YTD’) depreciation expense the selected month-end;
- YTD gain/loss on disposal;
- Cost and Accumulated Depreciation balances for the selected month-end;
- Cumulative cash impact;
- Chart showing the development of depreciation year;
- Chart showing Cost vs Net Book Value balances expected across the financial year.
Inputs are split into setup inputs and asset item inputs. All inputs include user-friendly line item explanations and input validations to help users understand what the input is for and populate correctly.
- Name of business
- Financial Year
- Latest month-end
- Asset categories (up to 10 naming categories)
- Useful Life per asset category
Asset inputs (for each asset with a current maximum of 150 asset items):
- Asset category classification
- Asset description
- Invoice number
- Addition Date
- Addition Amount
- Estimated Residual Value
- Payment Reference No.
- Disposal Date (if applicable)
- Disposal Proceeds (if applicable)
- Disposal Receipt Reference (if applicable)
The tool contains, 5 tabs split into input ('i_'), output ('o_’) and system tabs. The tabs to be populated by the user are the input tabs ('i_Setup' and ‘i_Asset Inputs’). The output (‘o_Results’) tab uses the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce and present the calculation outputs and charts (see ‘KEY OUTPUTS’).
System tabs include:
- A 'Front Sheet' containing a disclaimer and instructions;
- A Checks dashboard containing a summary of checks by tab.
Other key features of this tool include the following:
- The tool follows good practice financial modelling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations;
- The tool calculates depreciation on a straight-line basis only
- The tool does not have the functionality to allow assets to be input in multiple currencies
- The tool allows assets to be classified into 1 of 10 asset categories that can be set by the user and each of which will have their own useful life.
- The tool uses ‘data tables’ to generate projected cost and depreciation balances, depreciation charges, cash impacts and gain/loss on disposal for months other than the current month-end to allow the user to understand the impact for the full year.
- The tool allows for a maximum of 150 asset items (this can be extended if required).
- Business Name, currency, financial year and asset categories are fully customisable
- The tool includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately;
- The tool includes a checks dashboard which summarises all the checks included in the various tabs making it easier to identify any errors.
If you require any be-spoke modifications to the tool, we are more than happy to assist with this. Please send us a message through the Eloquens site or contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a small team of financial modelling professionals with experience working in Big 4 Business Modelling teams and strong experience supporting businesses with their financial planning and decision support needs. Our aim is to provide robust and easy-to-use tools that follow best practice financial modelling guidelines and assist individuals and businesses with common financial planning and analysis processes.
We are keen to make sure our customers are fully satisfied with the tools / models they purchase and will be more than happy to assist with any questions or support required following or in advance of purchase.
We are also always keen to receive feedback so please do let us know what you think of our products/offering by sending us a message or submitting a review.
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel File
Acquire business license for $7.00
Add to cart
Add to bookmarks
Calculation of Depreciation / Amortisation on an asset by asset basis