Last version published: 12/06/2017 09:07
Publication number: ELQ-12752-2
View all versions & Certificate
Startup Pro-forma Profit and Loss statement (P&L) Template
Made to help you construct a high level operation plan for your startup.
With the use of the following template, you will be able to make up your own pro-forma Profit and Loss statement.
To give you some guidance on the components of this template, read the explanations below:
• P&L by year: The company’s vision on how it will generate revenue, and where it will have to make expenditures to bring in that revenue. This view is key; you need to show this to investors.
• P&L by quarter: This worksheet breaks down financials by quarter- Which may be of particular importance for highly seasonal businesses.
• Sales plan: the most important worksheet- it captures your business model, the tool that will capture value from your customers, but that will also guide you through how to acquire customers and drive your sales up overtime.
• COGS – Cost of Goods Sold. This goes along with the sales projections in the sales plan. COGS is key for hardware businesses and software businesses that license technology from another entity.
• Staffing plan: outlines the key driver for operating expenses- compensation for employees.
• Expenses: other expenses outside headcount; may be important for hardware business with a lot of non-recurring engineering (NRE) expenses.
• Balance sheet: summarizes assets and liabilities. Not exactly relevant for day to day management, however the cashflow statement is a much more important financial statement.
• Capex and Cash Flow: Looks at cash fluctuation at year over quarter and quarter over quarter. This is important for day to day management- remember, cash is the only way you can operate.
If the template sounds confusing, keep in mind that all you need to understand is how to construct the P&L, and to have all the necessary data to back up ideas on how you will expand revenue. The rest can be done by a finance professional- after you close on a significant round of financing.
- Charlie Tillet
This Best Practice includes
1 excel sheet
Charlie Tillett offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
- abiodun quadri(last updated: 07/10/2019 14:36)
- Andreas Od.(last updated: 07/10/2019 11:30)
- T Allen(last updated: 04/10/2019 03:43)
- Maryam Tinu(last updated: 28/09/2019 03:25)
- Thinh Tran(last updated: 25/09/2019 15:55)
- Oran Thaller(last updated: 12/09/2019 10:54)
- Ali Syahbana N. Siregar(last updated: 06/09/2019 07:15)
- JOANNE HORTMAN, MS, GRI(last updated: 01/09/2019 20:51)
- Miodrag Vučković(last updated: 30/08/2019 12:05)
- Paul Santinelli(last updated: 27/08/2019 14:21)
- AJ Alexander(last updated: 27/08/2019 00:02)
- mohamad ashraff zamharir(last updated: 20/08/2019 14:13)
- Brian Hoang(last updated: 13/08/2019 00:20)
- Daiana Cardozo Costaganna(last updated: 04/08/2019 11:27)
- Shannon Castillo(last updated: 26/07/2019 21:54)
- Shang Ong(last updated: 26/07/2019 06:29)
- Arthur L. Burris Jr.(last updated: 23/07/2019 19:05)
- Ming Qi(last updated: 21/07/2019 19:40)
- Mariah Lichtenstern(last updated: 17/07/2019 23:52)
- Greg Idele(last updated: 14/07/2019 16:40)
- Henry Chung(last updated: 11/07/2019 05:57)
- Ravish Bhat(last updated: 06/07/2019 09:34)
- Jim Goers(last updated: 30/06/2019 18:54)
- Stavros(last updated: 27/06/2019 06:49)
- Kusnadi Halim Salim(last updated: 24/06/2019 06:30)
- Sammy Nakhla(last updated: 20/06/2019 17:13)
- Piyush arya(last updated: 14/06/2019 19:04)
- Moni Abraham(last updated: 11/06/2019 23:25)
- Jimmy Halim(last updated: 04/06/2019 19:25)
- Jefferson Tsosie(last updated: 04/06/2019 18:51)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Generic Startup Financial Projection 3 statement Excel ModelUser-friendly model for preparing a financial projection for a startup businessfinancialincome statementprojectionmodelforecast1,480$30.00 by Projectify
Simple Cash Flow Model Excel TemplateA Simple Cash Flow Model template with a free video tutorialbusiness planfinancial modelstartuptemplateexcel1,706free by Jacek Polewski
Cash Model Template for StartupsTemplate to forecast your startup's cash expenditure, cash-flow as well as downside potential.modelforecaststartuptemplateexcel1,550free by Tim Raybould
Cash flow forecast + Supplementary Personal Survival budget Excel templateCalculates the expected amount of money going in and paying out for your business over a period of time.projectionmodelforecaststartuptemplate3,311free by Start Up Loans
Subscription E-Commerce Fundraising Financial ModelCombining an e-commerce product sales model & a subscription model to make one subscription e-commerce fundraising modelplanningfinancial modelstartupfundraisingsubscription659$369.00 by Alexander Jarvis
Real Estate Property Cashflow AnalyzerHelps evaluate the characteristics of a property’s cashflow along with some explanations of the derived values.analysisratiosprofitabilitytemplateexcel2,112free by Michael Rogers
SaaS Metrics Excel TemplateA standard SaaS reporting excel template for entrepreneurs to customize.startupsaaskpistemplateexcel4,997free by Amit Karp
SaaS Financial Model: Simple Template For Early-Stage StartupsSimple financial planning tool tailored for early-stage SaaS entrepeneurs.financialmodelsimpleinvestorstartup4,014free by Gary Gaspar
Comprehensive Restaurant Financial Excel Model Template (Pro Forma Statements for Business Plan)Complete Financial Model to Start Your Own Restaurant and Bar Anywhere in the Worldprojectionsbusiness planfinancial modelstartuptemplate3,217free by Faheem Moosa
Personnel Forecast Excel Model TemplateHow to create detailed headcount forecasts using excelmodelexpensesforecasttemplateexcel3,113free by Ben Murray
Discussion feed for Startup Pro-forma Profit And Loss Statement (P&L) Template
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!