Last version published: 12/06/2017 09:07
Publication number: ELQ-12752-2
View all versions & Certificate
Startup Pro-forma Profit and Loss statement (P&L) Template
Made to help you construct a high level operation plan for your startup.
With the use of the following template, you will be able to make up your own pro-forma Profit and Loss statement.
To give you some guidance on the components of this template, read the explanations below:
• P&L by year: The company’s vision on how it will generate revenue, and where it will have to make expenditures to bring in that revenue. This view is key; you need to show this to investors.
• P&L by quarter: This worksheet breaks down financials by quarter- Which may be of particular importance for highly seasonal businesses.
• Sales plan: the most important worksheet- it captures your business model, the tool that will capture value from your customers, but that will also guide you through how to acquire customers and drive your sales up overtime.
• COGS – Cost of Goods Sold. This goes along with the sales projections in the sales plan. COGS is key for hardware businesses and software businesses that license technology from another entity.
• Staffing plan: outlines the key driver for operating expenses- compensation for employees.
• Expenses: other expenses outside headcount; may be important for hardware business with a lot of non-recurring engineering (NRE) expenses.
• Balance sheet: summarizes assets and liabilities. Not exactly relevant for day to day management, however the cashflow statement is a much more important financial statement.
• Capex and Cash Flow: Looks at cash fluctuation at year over quarter and quarter over quarter. This is important for day to day management- remember, cash is the only way you can operate.
If the template sounds confusing, keep in mind that all you need to understand is how to construct the P&L, and to have all the necessary data to back up ideas on how you will expand revenue. The rest can be done by a finance professional- after you close on a significant round of financing.
- Charlie Tillet
This business tool includes
1 excel sheet
Charlie Tillet offers you this business tool for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
- Fawad Baig(last updated: 23/05/2018 07:38)
- Ashok Rajani(last updated: 23/05/2018 05:15)
- Carlos Gonzalez(last updated: 18/05/2018 15:22)
- EAM SAN JUAN(last updated: 17/05/2018 21:03)
- William Hudspeth(last updated: 16/05/2018 19:28)
- Rajeev R(last updated: 16/05/2018 04:07)
- K.M.FARHAD ALAM(last updated: 14/05/2018 09:38)
- Andrew Giesen(last updated: 12/05/2018 00:59)
- Vivek Malviya(last updated: 11/05/2018 17:52)
- Malcolm Crossley(last updated: 05/05/2018 08:45)Great
- Dr. J. Kyle House(last updated: 29/04/2018 18:31)
- Suju Krishnan, PMP, MBA(last updated: 29/04/2018 12:36)
- Gunnar Thorderson(last updated: 26/04/2018 07:31)
- Mohammed Magdy Alzahran(last updated: 20/04/2018 18:17)
- Shanmu Srini(last updated: 18/04/2018 10:17)
- Valentin Leoveanu(last updated: 31/03/2018 08:36)
- Ins Solihin(last updated: 22/08/2017 08:36)
- Putra Kesuma(last updated: 05/06/2017 09:11)
People using this tool also downloaded
Simple Cash Flow Model Excel TemplateA Simple Cash Flow Model template with a free video tutorialbusiness planfinancial modelstartuptemplateexcelcashflow263 remove_red_eye
Cash Model Template for StartupsTemplate to forecast your startup's cash expenditure, cash-flow as well as downside potential.modelforecaststartuptemplateexcelcashflowfree1,039 remove_red_eyefreeby Tim Raybould
Cash flow forecast + Supplementary Personal Survival budget Excel templateCalculates the expected amount of money going in and paying out for your business over a period of time.projectionmodelforecaststartuptemplateexcelcashflowcf1,556 remove_red_eye
Basic Startup Cost modelAnswers the question to how much you need to raise for a venture backed startup.costmodelsimplestartuptemplateexcelsampleraise capitalmanage cash burn2,549 remove_red_eye
SaaS Metrics Excel TemplateA standard SaaS reporting excel template for entrepreneurs to customize.startupsaaskpistemplateexceldownloadreportingrecurring revenue model2,817 remove_red_eyefreeby Amit Karp
Real Estate Property Cashflow AnalyzerHelps evaluate the characteristics of a property’s cashflow along with some explanations of the derived values.analysisratiosprofitabilitytemplateexcelspreadsheetreal statecashflowcashflow analyzer1,302 remove_red_eye
Ultimate Startup Cap Table and Return Analysis Excel TemplateSample cap table excel template with exclusive waterfall return analysis.analysiswaterfallstartupcap tabletemplateexcelspreadsheetfreedownloadreturn analysis2,812 remove_red_eye$9.00by Alexander Jarvis
Financial Model for Mobile Payment StartupIncludes assumptions page, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement and valuation sheet.income statementfinancemodelbalance sheetstartuptemplateexcelfreedownloadmobile1,174 remove_red_eyefreeby Tayfun Uslu
SaaS Financial Model: Simple Template For Early-Stage StartupsSimple financial planning tool tailored for early-stage SaaS entrepeneurs.financialmodelsimpleinvestorstartupearly-stagesaastemplateexcel2,429 remove_red_eyefreeby Gary Gaspar
How to Calculate A Return On Investment (Excel Basics)Calculating an investor's return using the "cash flow method"investmentventure capitaltemplateexcelreturncashflowinvestor returnbasic954 remove_red_eyefreeby Fred Wilson
Discussion feed for Startup Pro-forma Profit And Loss Statement (P&L) Template
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!