Last version published: 17/05/2022 14:24
Publication number: ELQ-64217-8
View all versions & Certificate
Debt / Loan Calculation Excel Template
Calculates key debt metrics including instalment, interest expense, interest rate sensitivity and impact of prepayments
PURPOSE OF TOOL
User-friendly Excel tool to analyse a loan/debt facility. The tool computes various metrics and charts for an amortising or bullet-type loan/debt facility in order to better understand the key financial impacts and sensitivities to changes in variables (e.g. interest rates).
The tool computes a number of key metrics and charts to analyse a loan or debt facility including:
- Computation of the periodic instalment amount;
- Years to maturity;
- Cumulative interest expense;
- Interest rate sensitivity;
- Reductions in loan period/period instalment and cumulative interest expenses following loan prepayments;
- Charts showing difference in net cash flows following prepayments and splits of principal and interest payments across the loan period.
The key user-defined inputs of the tool include:
- Loan/debt reference name;
- Loan/debt start date;
- Loan/debt balance at start date;
- Loan/debt type (amortising or bullet);
- Maturity date;
- Payment frequency (Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-annually, Yearly);
- Interest rate;
- Prepayment date and amount;
- Prepayment impact (reduces loan period or instalment).
The template contains, 6 tabs split into input ('i_'), calculation ('c_'), output ('o_’) and system tabs. The only tab to be populated by the user is the input tab ('i_Assumptions'). The calculation tabs use the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce the template outputs presented in 'o_Results'.
System tabs include the following:
- 'Front Sheet' containing a disclaimer, instructions and contents;
- Checks dashboard containing a summary of checks by tab.
OTHER KEY FEATURES
Other key features of this tool include the following:
- The tool follows best practice financial modelling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations;
- The tool can calculate metrics for a loan/debt facility with a maximum maturity of 30 years from start date;
- The template can be used for a Bullet-type debt / loan facility (all principal is paid on maturity date) or an amortising debt / loan facility (principal is paid as part of the periodic instalments across the life of the loan);
- The tool calculates interest and loan balance on a monthly basis for a maximum of 30 years (360 rows).
- All movements and cash flows are assumed to happen on the last day of each month.
- The tool allows for a maximum of 5 separate prepayments;
- The daily interest rates are derived from the yield curve points using linear interpolation;
- Loan/Debt reference name, currency, valuation date, etc. are customisable;
- The tool includes a checks dashboard which summarises all the checks included in the various tabs making it easier to identify any errors;
- The tool includes checks and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately.
If you require any be-spoke modifications to the tool, we are more than happy to assist with this. Please send us a message through the Eloquens site here: https://www.eloquens.com/company/projectify
We are a small team of financial modelling professionals with experience working in Big 4 Business Modelling teams and strong experience supporting businesses with their financial planning and decision support needs. Our aim is to provide robust and easy-to-use tools that follow best practice financial modelling guidelines and assist individuals and businesses with common financial planning and analysis processes.
We are keen to make sure our customers are fully satisfied with the tools / models they purchase and will be more than happy to assist with any questions or support required following or in advance of purchase.
We are also always keen to receive feedback so please do let us know what you think of our products/offering by sending us a message or submitting a review.
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel Calculation Model
Projectify offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
Analysis of loan or Debt facility including calculation of key metrics and sensitivities