Publication number: ELQ-37933-1
View all versions & Certificate
9-Box Matrix Template: Performance vs Potential
Performance vs Potential 9 box matrix to help you identify what stage employees are at in their professional development
Th 9-box model is commonly used in succession planning and development processes for evaluating performance vs potential. The tool has been in the public domain for a long time, however there are few people who really understand its value when developing a leadership team and planning for the future.
This model has attained widespread popularity mainly due to its effectiveness and its simplicity. In general, it is very successful, and only really fails when communication fails. It is composed of 9 boxes compiled on a grid with an x and a y axis. Along the x axis, performance is measured, whilst on the y axis, potential is measured. The highest achievement is the top right box, meaning the candidate ranks highly in both performance and potential.
On the other hand, the box on the bottom left is comprised of those who rank lowly in both performance and potential. This matrix can be used for a constructive discussion, which should then facilitate teamwork, open discussion, and professional development. The aim of the matrix is to understand where each employee stands by identifying how they fit into the grid. It will also enable you to evaluate how they should be positioned in future organizational changes.
*Originally shared on TheErmiGroup.com*
This business tool includes
1x 9 Box Matrix Template in Powerpoint
Ermi Group offers you this business tool for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
- Yajan Dua(last updated: 18/04/2019 08:05)
- Saba Imran(last updated: 04/04/2019 01:25)
- Nixon Atu(last updated: 10/03/2019 21:52)
- Gerardo Diaz(last updated: 07/03/2019 17:09)
- Suttirak (Lim) Vesvarut(last updated: 05/02/2019 08:14)
- Venacia Lerato Matolodi(last updated: 22/01/2019 07:49)
- Robert Sweeney(last updated: 09/11/2018 19:59)
- Matt Firger(last updated: 25/09/2018 16:32)
- Security Company(last updated: 25/09/2018 11:05)
- Beáta Holá(last updated: 12/09/2018 12:34)
- Leanne Davies(last updated: 31/07/2018 19:12)
- Salman Muttaqin(last updated: 20/07/2018 08:49)
- Gary Hazel Assoc CIPD(last updated: 15/07/2018 12:46)
- Jini Pancholi(last updated: 05/07/2018 11:01)
- John Slavich, SPHR, SHRM -SCP(last updated: 26/06/2018 14:46)
- Tom Morris(last updated: 19/06/2018 19:22)
- Carol Phipps(last updated: 11/06/2018 19:57)
- Julio Cesar Cosmo, MCC, MCP, MCTS(last updated: 01/06/2018 06:27)
- Ellada Alishova(last updated: 29/05/2018 12:18)
- Steven Crowthers(last updated: 23/05/2018 18:43)
- Simon Brunger(last updated: 18/05/2018 07:59)
- Cheryl Brisson, SPHR, SCP(last updated: 30/04/2018 15:06)
- Mostafa Tabrizi(last updated: 29/04/2018 11:36)
People using this tool also downloaded
Succession Planning TemplatesThis PDF file contains a talent bench review form, a 9 box grid template, and a 9 box grid guide.potentialperformancehr9 box matrixtalent531free by HR Techies
Scenario Analysis 3-Statement Projection Excel ModelUser-friendly 3-statement generic Projection Model for new or existing businesses with Scenario Analysis functionalityanalysisbusinesstoolprojectionmodel163$25.00 by Projectify
Competitive Map Excel TemplateThis tool can be used to analyse how a company/product is positioned compared to other companies/products.ratingperformancecompanyproductpositioning432free by Alberto Scappini
Product development synergiesProduce a checklist of skills to analyze two business' synergies.acquisitiondevelopmentsynergycomparisoncapabilities199free by WMI Consulting
Financial Report Template: Waterfall ChartTrack your financial performance and forecast more efficientlyfinancialperformancetoolreportforecast491free by Brian Ascher
Human Resources (HR) KPI Dashboard Excel TemplateThis KPI dashboard offers a detailed and effective tool to monitor the performance of your HR department.objectivesperformancehuman resourcesdashboardkpi915$30.00 by Someka
Employee Performance Commitment TemplateThis Employee Commitment Template, with accompanying video, offers a ready-to-use tool to improve employee performance.performanceteamleadershiphremployee commitment46
Recipe for Employee TrainingThis video, by Stephen Goldberg, gives advice on how to formulate an effective employee training plan for employees.performancemanagementhrcoachingemployee training37
Gantt Chart BasicA basic model to develop a Gantt Chart for project managementproject managementgantt chartplanningbudgetingtime management273free by PMP James Chapman
Balanced Scorecard Dashboard Excel ModelThis is a balanced scorecard summary report, presented in a succinct clear format which is ready to use.revenuefinancedashboardkpiexcel314$149.00 by Marcus Small
Discussion feed for 9-Box Matrix Template: Performance Vs Potential
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!
- My name is Roseana and I work in Human Resources here in Brazil.
I downloaded a nine box worksheet on the site and enjoyed it a lot.
I would like to use it at work, but it is password protected.
Would there be any problem with entering the password so I can translate the worksheet into my language?
Thank you very much for your attention