Publication number: ELQ-37933-1
View all versions & Certificate
9-Box Matrix Template: Performance vs Potential
Performance vs Potential 9 box matrix to help you identify what stage employees are at in their professional development
Th 9-box model is commonly used in succession planning and development processes for evaluating performance vs potential. The tool has been in the public domain for a long time, however there are few people who really understand its value when developing a leadership team and planning for the future.
This model has attained widespread popularity mainly due to its effectiveness and its simplicity. In general, it is very successful, and only really fails when communication fails. It is composed of 9 boxes compiled on a grid with an x and a y axis. Along the x axis, performance is measured, whilst on the y axis, potential is measured. The highest achievement is the top right box, meaning the candidate ranks highly in both performance and potential.
On the other hand, the box on the bottom left is comprised of those who rank lowly in both performance and potential. This matrix can be used for a constructive discussion, which should then facilitate teamwork, open discussion, and professional development. The aim of the matrix is to understand where each employee stands by identifying how they fit into the grid. It will also enable you to evaluate how they should be positioned in future organizational changes.
*Originally shared on TheErmiGroup.com*
This Best Practice includes
1x 9 Box Matrix Template in Powerpoint
Ermi Group offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
3.7 / 5 (66 votes)
- Rate this Downloadable Best Practice
Write a review
- Vasile Popovici the Excel guru(last updated: 23/11/2020 18:02)
- Angie Nicole Vargas Caballero(last updated: 09/11/2020 13:47)
- Àlex Vallès(last updated: 03/10/2020 11:36)
- Sumiit Sanyal(last updated: 24/09/2020 09:30)
- David C. Whitaker(last updated: 18/08/2020 14:42)
- Guy Gélinas(last updated: 25/06/2020 17:17)
- Krissy Velleca, SHRM-CP(last updated: 03/06/2020 12:28)
- Mo S(last updated: 02/06/2020 19:45)
- Henry Orimbo(last updated: 21/05/2020 18:49)
- Elena Aleknaviciene(last updated: 18/05/2020 13:15)
- Işıl Onay Bektaş(last updated: 05/05/2020 12:51)
- Alaa Alsaadi(last updated: 23/04/2020 22:12)
- Karina Diaz(last updated: 18/04/2020 23:30)
- Catherine Linamen(last updated: 16/04/2020 19:28)
- Chamroon Thong-on(last updated: 14/04/2020 09:38)
- Aditi Vasani(last updated: 08/04/2020 08:45)
- Ahmed Darkawi(last updated: 05/04/2020 20:51)
- Enrico Morra(last updated: 30/03/2020 22:41)
- Dimity Mac(last updated: 26/03/2020 22:18)
- Stacie Moore(last updated: 23/03/2020 17:12)
- Jonathan Mallon BSc(Hons), MIWFM, MBI800(last updated: 04/03/2020 19:47)
- Parthiban S(last updated: 28/02/2020 08:25)
- Elaine Gooden(last updated: 24/02/2020 16:02)
- Swati Telang(last updated: 18/02/2020 12:15)
- Andrea Barber(last updated: 10/02/2020 21:13)
- Dominique Labelle(last updated: 08/02/2020 00:43)
- Kerry Chown, MSc CIPD(last updated: 25/12/2019 19:53)
- Chad Jozwick(last updated: 15/11/2019 17:09)
- Jamila Rharssisse(last updated: 23/10/2019 19:14)
- Rebecca Milliken(last updated: 23/10/2019 02:21)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Succession Planning TemplatesThis PDF file contains a talent bench review form, a 9 box grid template, and a 9 box grid guide.potentialperformancehr9 box matrixtalent1,503add_shopping_cartfreeby HR Techies
Scenario Analysis 3-Statement Projection Excel ModelUser-friendly 3-statement generic Projection Model for new or existing businesses with Scenario Analysis functionalityanalysisbusinesstoolprojectionmodel1,641add_shopping_cart$39.00by Projectify
Product development synergiesProduce a checklist of skills to analyze two business' synergies.acquisitiondevelopmentsynergycomparisoncapabilities339add_shopping_cartfreeby WMI Consulting
Competitive Map Excel TemplateThis tool can be used to analyse how a company/product is positioned compared to other companies/products.ratingperformancecompanyproductpositioning770add_shopping_cartfreeby Alberto Scappini
Financial Report Template: Waterfall ChartTrack your financial performance and forecast more efficientlyfinancialperformancetoolreportforecast1,062add_shopping_cartfreeby Brian Ascher
Employee Performance Commitment TemplateThis Employee Commitment Template, with accompanying video, offers a ready-to-use tool to improve employee performance.performanceteamleadershiphremployee commitment348add_shopping_cart
Human Resources (HR) KPI Dashboard Excel TemplateThis KPI dashboard offers a detailed and effective tool to monitor the performance of your HR department.objectivesperformancehuman resourcesdashboardkpi4,509add_shopping_cart$40.00by Someka
Recipe for Employee TrainingThis video, by Stephen Goldberg, gives advice on how to formulate an effective employee training plan for employees.performancemanagementhrcoachingemployee training113add_shopping_cart
Interim Budgeting (Reforecasting)Tools to depict the mid-year status, estimate if the outlook looks reasonable and assess the accuracy of past forecastsperformanceprojectionsplanningbudgetingforecasting302add_shopping_cart$20.00by Andrei Okhlopkov
HR Metrics Dashboard TemplateThe HR Metrics Dashboard Template from Adnia Solutionsperformancehuman resourceshrhr metrics dashboardhr template1,578add_shopping_cart$49.00by Adnia Solutions
Discussion feed for 9-Box Matrix Template: Performance Vs Potential
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!
- My name is Roseana and I work in Human Resources here in Brazil.
I downloaded a nine box worksheet on the site and enjoyed it a lot.
I would like to use it at work, but it is password protected.
Would there be any problem with entering the password so I can translate the worksheet into my language?
Thank you very much for your attention