Last version published: 21/10/2019 00:31
Publication number: ELQ-95969-6
View all versions & Certificate
Founder Friendly Term Sheets & Startup Contracts
Addendum for term sheets, employment agreements, bylaws, etc. with favorable terms for entrepreneurs.
Founder Friendly Standard is a framework for determining if your startup investment deal is founder friendly. It can help entrepreneurs avoid disputes around voting rights, founder vesting, non-compete, and other factors that cause startup relationships to implode.
The document has 17 total provisions across 5 sections. Here are some of the juiciest ones:
- Founders get super-voting equity (24:1 votes).
- Option pools dilute all equity holders equally. Thanks to Sam Altman from YCombinator (another Eloquens author, see "Founder-Friendly Term Sheet") for sparking this idea.
- Company won’t agree to pay investors’ legal fees on any investment deal closed within first two years of operations.
- Company won't agree to arbitration with any investor or founder in any agreement signed within first two years of operations.
- Non-compete provisions can only be in active employee and contractor agreements, never in organizational documents. If founders are fired, they need to find work in their industries and keep their equity.
Use the Founder Friendly Standard when incorporating your startup and when negotiating organizational documents such as term sheets, stock purchase agreements, private placement memorandums (PPMs), and stock option plans with co-founders, angel investors, and venture capitalists.
IMPORTANT: Always make sure you have an attorney perform this work. You can find an attorney familiar with the Founder Friendly Standard on our website.
UPDATE ON 10/8/19 – Added a Word file to this package containing comparisons of Founder Friendly Standard with these popular agreements: 500 Startups KISS, Y Combinator Safes, NVCA legal docs, Gust Series Seed, Sam Altman Term Sheet, and Y Combinator Series A.
* Founder Friendly Standard was first published on Eisaiah Engel’s blog in November of 2017. This is not legal advice.
This Best Practice includes
1 Downloadable Term Sheet Addendum in Word, PDF, and PowerPoint formats; 1 Attorney Adjudication Form
Eisaiah Engel offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
Transform any term sheet template or startup legal agreement into one that meets the Founder Friendly Standard.
Bootstrapped/lean startups with revenue and a long-term vision. Make sure you have an attorney perform this work.
Startups without revenue that require large amounts of capital. Or, startups who try to use the Founder Friendly Standard without hiring an attorney.
- David Engel(last updated: 08/10/2019 12:55)
- Arnab Roy Chowdhury(last updated: 30/08/2019 03:45)
- Terence Chia(last updated: 17/08/2019 15:27)
- Christian Bautista(last updated: 31/07/2019 03:41)
- olaniyan olamide(last updated: 12/06/2019 21:10)
- Sasdi Zsolt(last updated: 04/06/2019 09:20)
- Ericfgao(last updated: 27/05/2019 07:28)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
VC Venture Capital Term Sheet Template - NVCA ModelA Series A Preferred Stock VC Term Sheet Templatefundraisingstartupsventure capitalseries ainvesting2,190add_shopping_cartfreeby NVCA
Angel Investment Term Sheet TemplateA founder-friendly term sheet template for angel investment.startupfundraisingtemplateangel investorterm sheet3,830add_shopping_cart
Startup Cap Table and Returns Model TemplateA Pro Forma Cap Table Model Template in Excel for entrepreneurs from Series A to Series Bstartupsentrepreneursventure capitalraising capitalseries a4,533add_shopping_cartfreeby Kelly Hwang
Enterprise SaaS and SME/Consumer Fundraising Excel ModelFor large, complex SaaS companies with enterprise, consumer and SME customers looking to fundraise.modelinvestorsstartupsventure capitalsaas1,508add_shopping_cart$1,454.00by Alexander Jarvis
Startup Business Model (DEMO)Startup Model for early-stage CEOsbusiness modelstartupsventure capitalfoundersstartup financial models98add_shopping_cartfreeby ExcelModels
Common Shares Term SheetCommon Shares Term Sheet Template with accompanying notes to help understanding.investorsentrepreneurstemplateterm sheetcommon shares761add_shopping_cartfreeby Naco Canada
Liquidation Model - Waterfall AnalysisEducate employees, founders, and others in how liquidation preferences affect financial distribution in exit scenariosfinancestartupsventure capitalraising capitalliquidation preferences3,622add_shopping_cartfreeby Michael Dempsey
Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) Model Term SheetA user friendly term sheet that is tailored for raising equity investments that qualify for tax relieffinanceinvestorsraising capitalterm sheetangel investment1,093add_shopping_cart
Cap Table and Exit Waterfall Template for Excel and Google SheetsA Cap Table and Exit Waterfall template for Entrepreneurs and Investorsvaluationstartupsventure capitalcap tablecapitalization9,659add_shopping_cartfreeby Taylor Davidson
S3 Cap Table TemplateA cap table file to help entrepreneurs structure and understand their financing rounds and increase their performancevaluationfinancingstartupsventure capitalraising capital6,897add_shopping_cartfreeby S3 Ventures
Discussion feed for Founder Friendly Term Sheets & Startup Contracts
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!
- What kind of legal documents are you evaluating against the Founder Friendly Standard? We have an effort underway to compare the NVCA templates, YCombinator Safe, Y Combinator Series A, KISS, Gust Series A, and Sam Altman's term sheet to it.arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply
- The comparison research is done, and I've added a new .docx file to this package called "Founder Friendly Standard Comparisons" that shows how 500 Startups KISS, Y Combinator Safes, NVCA legal docs, Gust Series Seed, Sam Altman Term Sheet, and Y Combinator Series A docs compare.arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply