Publication number: ELQ-95803-1
View all versions & Certificate
The Marketplace Calculator
This Marketplace Calculator will help you evaluate potential opportunities on more than one or two variables.
Arteen Arabshahi has invested in early stage marketplaces for more than five years and has recently been asked to put together an assessment tool by ASU W.P. Carey Business School so that their students can use it to stress test potential marketplace opportunities.
This was a great chance for Arteen to codify some of the thinking around how he and those who work at Fika Ventures evaluate marketplace opportunities, reduce it to a framework, and explicitly share it.
In 2015, Arteen's partner TX Zhuo created a great post regarding his 20/20/20 Rule for successful marketplaces. Since 2015 lots has changed, particularly the maturation and growth of companies such as Uber and Airbnb, proving the fact that the marketplace business model is here for the long-run. The marketplace approach has become the status quo as a result of their success and popularity. No longer is it interesting for businesses to "only" connect supply and demand and cut out the middle person. Now marketplace investors want to see more opportunity for quality and control, barriers to entry, supply side optimisation tools and network effects.
Taking all of this in mind, Arteen created this marketplace calculator in the aim of helping to evaluate potential opportunities on more than just one or two variables. He has assigned weights and scores to each question and provided a few examples.
This tool is easy to use, and provides all the questions needed for marketplace evaluation, as well as 4 examples including Uber, Airbnb, Care.com and Homejoy.
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel File
Arteen Arabshahi offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
- AshBaig(last updated: 28/09/2019 23:03)
- LATIF SHAIKH(last updated: 13/09/2019 14:25)
- Daniel Franco Araújo Farah(last updated: 16/07/2019 18:23)
- Abi Andaya Iswara(last updated: 06/07/2019 12:52)
- Rafael Garrido(last updated: 12/06/2019 03:09)
- Elena Sin(last updated: 02/05/2019 02:21)
- Mahesh Meena(last updated: 11/04/2019 11:43)
- S Vinay Prakash(last updated: 20/03/2019 20:41)
- Shamsher Singh Gill(last updated: 19/02/2019 10:49)
- Academy of Excellence(last updated: 31/01/2019 14:07)
- Luis Manuel González Nieto(last updated: 20/01/2019 23:14)
- Prashanth Narayan(last updated: 20/01/2019 05:29)
- Arif Fatwaddin(last updated: 19/01/2019 14:07)
- Wonder(last updated: 16/01/2019 12:34)
- Sunil Tolani(last updated: 10/01/2019 14:42)
- Mark Vella(last updated: 27/12/2018 23:27)
- Simone Burton(last updated: 30/11/2018 14:59)
- PANKAJ KUMAR92(last updated: 02/11/2018 19:07)
- Henry N.A Cobblah(last updated: 23/09/2018 14:41)
- Carlo de Bassa Scheresberg(last updated: 22/09/2018 16:20)
- Natee Bicharoen(last updated: 11/09/2018 08:27)
- jakkarin Permsin(last updated: 25/08/2018 11:18)
- M Abhipraya(last updated: 11/08/2018 01:54)
- Kibaw Arp(last updated: 09/08/2018 14:05)
- Christian Herrero(last updated: 03/08/2018 04:45)
- Alexandre Marquesi - Ph.D. MKT Digital(last updated: 01/08/2018 03:39)ADOREI
- Basim Albeladi(last updated: 22/07/2018 05:02)
- Albert Wardhana(last updated: 21/07/2018 07:24)
- Jensen Vang(last updated: 11/07/2018 22:02)
- Carlos Oliveira(last updated: 14/06/2018 16:42)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Marketplace Excel Model - for physical events, conferencesIn the Excel file you will find a model a physical marketplace, conferences, eventsvaluationfinancial modelfinancial modelingmarketplace2-sided marketplace53add_shopping_cartfreeby Asen Gyczew
Explanatory Brochure on the Anatomy of a Term SheetExplanatory brochure designed to help entrepreneurs understand and evaluate early-stage equity financing term sheets.ventureequityfinancingfundraisingentrepreneurship487add_shopping_cart
Risk Factors TemplateShould you include risk factors in an early-stage pitch deck?riskearly-stagepitch deckrisk factorsearly stage pitch deck14add_shopping_cartfreeby Alexander Jarvis
Eloquens.com - How it works for AuthorsThis video outlines how Eloquens.com works for authors from best practice upload to smart additional features.benefitsvideomarketplacehow toauthors73
How to build an investor grade financial model for your SaaS startupMaking a financial model for your startup can seem intimidating — but it can actually be funfinanceinvestormodelingstartupearly-stage1,251add_shopping_cart
Author Case Study: Benjamin J. BoyleDiscover the story of Eloquens Author Benjamin J. Boyle and how Eloquens.com has been useful for him.strategycase studyfinancial modelingmarketplacefinancial models56
How to Drive Marketplace Customers to Your WebsiteThis video contains tips on how to drive customers to your website by using 3rd-party marketplaces such as Amazonmarketingtrafficcustomerswebsitemarketplace225freeby Reply Manager
Annotated Series Seed Term SheetAnnotated Series Seed Term Sheet Templatestartupinvestorsearly-stagefounderterm sheet710add_shopping_cartfreeby Gust
A Guide to Marketplaces: Handbook and SlidesA full guide dedicated and geared at Marketplace Startupsstartupsguidevcpdffree1,214add_shopping_cartfreeby Version One
S3's Operating Model TemplatePrecise calculator for business expenses, overall cash needs and revenue model.financestartupsearly-stageventure capitalraising capital3,361add_shopping_cartfreeby S3 Ventures
Any questions on The Marketplace Calculator?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!