Publication number: ELQ-95803-1
View all versions & Certificate
The Marketplace Calculator
This Marketplace Calculator will help you evaluate potential opportunities on more than one or two variables.
Arteen Arabshahi has invested in early stage marketplaces for more than five years and has recently been asked to put together an assessment tool by ASU W.P. Carey Business School so that their students can use it to stress test potential marketplace opportunities.
This was a great chance for Arteen to codify some of the thinking around how he and those who work at Fika Ventures evaluate marketplace opportunities, reduce it to a framework, and explicitly share it.
In 2015, Arteen's partner TX Zhuo created a great post regarding his 20/20/20 Rule for successful marketplaces. Since 2015 lots has changed, particularly the maturation and growth of companies such as Uber and Airbnb, proving the fact that the marketplace business model is here for the long-run. The marketplace approach has become the status quo as a result of their success and popularity. No longer is it interesting for businesses to "only" connect supply and demand and cut out the middle person. Now marketplace investors want to see more opportunity for quality and control, barriers to entry, supply side optimisation tools and network effects.
Taking all of this in mind, Arteen created this marketplace calculator in the aim of helping to evaluate potential opportunities on more than just one or two variables. He has assigned weights and scores to each question and provided a few examples.
This tool is easy to use, and provides all the questions needed for marketplace evaluation, as well as 4 examples including Uber, Airbnb, Care.com and Homejoy.
This business tool includes
1 Excel File
Arteen Arabshahi offers you this business tool for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
- Mahesh Meena(last updated: 11/04/2019 11:43)
- S Vinay Prakash(last updated: 20/03/2019 20:41)
- Shamsher Singh Gill(last updated: 19/02/2019 10:49)
- Academy of Excellence(last updated: 31/01/2019 14:07)
- Luis Manuel González Nieto(last updated: 20/01/2019 23:14)
- Prashanth Narayan(last updated: 20/01/2019 05:29)
- Arif Fatwaddin(last updated: 19/01/2019 14:07)
- Wonder(last updated: 16/01/2019 12:34)
- Sunil Tolani(last updated: 10/01/2019 14:42)
- Mark Vella(last updated: 27/12/2018 23:27)
- Simone Burton(last updated: 30/11/2018 14:59)
- PANKAJ KUMAR92(last updated: 02/11/2018 19:07)
- Henry N.A Cobblah(last updated: 23/09/2018 14:41)
- Carlo de Bassa Scheresberg(last updated: 22/09/2018 16:20)
- Natee Bicharoen(last updated: 11/09/2018 08:27)
- jakkarin Permsin(last updated: 25/08/2018 11:18)
- M Abhipraya(last updated: 11/08/2018 01:54)
- Kibaw Arp(last updated: 09/08/2018 14:05)
- Christian Herrero(last updated: 03/08/2018 04:45)
- Alexandre Marquesi - Ph.D. MKT Digital(last updated: 01/08/2018 03:39)ADOREI
- Basim Albeladi(last updated: 22/07/2018 05:02)
- Albert Wardhana(last updated: 21/07/2018 07:24)
- Jensen Vang(last updated: 11/07/2018 22:02)
- Carlos Oliveira(last updated: 14/06/2018 16:42)
- Saad Ali Shouket(last updated: 13/06/2018 19:09)
- Shankar Sethuramalingam(last updated: 01/06/2018 23:05)
- Steven Thomas(last updated: 27/04/2018 17:11)
- William Böll496(last updated: 13/04/2018 13:32)
People using this tool also downloaded
Explanatory Brochure on the Anatomy of a Term SheetExplanatory brochure designed to help entrepreneurs understand and evaluate early-stage equity financing term sheets.angel investorsearly-stageentrepreneurshipequityfinancing362
How to build an investor grade financial model for your SaaS startupMaking a financial model for your startup can seem intimidating — but it can actually be funearly-stagefinanceinvestorkpismetrics939
Author Case Study: Benjamin J. BoyleDiscover the story of Eloquens Author Benjamin J. Boyle and how Eloquens.com has been useful for him.authorcase studyfinancial modelingfinancial modelsframeworks40free by Eloquens Team
How to Drive Marketplace Customers to Your WebsiteThis video contains tips on how to drive customers to your website by using 3rd-party marketplaces such as Amazonamazoncustomersebaymarketingmarketplace146free by Reply Manager
S3's Operating Model TemplatePrecise calculator for business expenses, overall cash needs and revenue model.business expensesbusiness kpiscash needsearly-stagefinance2,572free by S3 Ventures
Annotated Series Seed Term SheetAnnotated Series Seed Term Sheet Templateagreementannotationearly-stagefounderinvestors606free by Gust
A Guide to Marketplaces: Handbook and SlidesA full guide dedicated and geared at Marketplace Startupsdownloadfreeguidehandbookmarketplace965
Marketplace Financial Excel ModelAn Excel startup financial model template in a marketplace business model. For valuation and forecasting.2-sided marketbusiness modellean startupmarketplacemodel in excel2,699free by Asen Gyczew
SaaS Financial Model: Simple Template For Early-Stage StartupsSimple financial planning tool tailored for early-stage SaaS entrepeneurs.early-stageexcelfinancialinvestormodel3,384free by Gary Gaspar
Marketplace KPI Excel DashboardDesigned to evaluate a marketplace organisation's performance.dashboarddownloadentrepreneurfreekpi3,568
Any questions on The Marketplace Calculator?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!