Last version published: 01/03/2021 08:34
Publication number: ELQ-10850-6
View all versions & Certificate
Generic Startup Financial Projection 3 statement Excel Model
User-friendly model for preparing a financial projection for a startup business
PURPOSE OF MODEL
User-friendly Excel model intended for the preparation of a 3 statement (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flow Statement) financial projection for a generic start-up business. The model follows best practice financial modelling principles and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations
The model is generic and not industry-specific. The key outputs include:
- Projected full financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash flow Statement) on a monthly basis across 3 years and summarised on an annual basis
- Dashboard with
o Summarised projected Income Statement and Balance Sheet
o Compounded Annual Growth rate (CAGR) for each summarised income statement and Balance Sheet line item
o List of key metrics including Average revenue growth, Average profit margins, Average return on assets and equity and Average Debt to Equity ratio.
o Bar charts summarising income statement and Balance Sheet projections
o Gross Profit margin by revenue stream in table and bar-chart format
Inputs are split into Income Statement and Balance Sheet Inputs. All inputs include user-friendly line item explanations and input validations to help users understand what the input is for and populate correctly.
Income Statement inputs include:
- Revenue inputs including sales volume, sales prices and average credit terms offered;
- Variable cost inputs including variable cost per unit and average credit terms received;
- Other Costs including staff costs, marketing costs and fixed costs;
- Taxation Inputs including rate and payment periods;
- Dividend inputs including amount (percentage of retained earnings) and frequency;
Balance Sheet inputs include:
- Fixed Assets including addition amounts and useful life
- Borrowings including addition amounts and interest rate
- Share Capital including initial and subsequent equity investments
The model contains, 7 tabs split into input ('i_'), calculation ('c_'), output ('o_’) and system tabs. The tabs to be populated by the user are the input tabs ('i_Setup' and 'i_Assumptions'). The calculation tab use the user-defined inputs to calculate and produce the projection outputs which are presented in 'o_Fin Stats' and ‘o_Charts’
System tabs include:
- A 'Front Sheet' containing a disclaimer, instructions and contents;
- A Checks dashboard containing a summary of checks by tab.
Other key features of this model include the following:
- The model follows best practice financial modelling guidelines and includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations;
- The model allows for a 3-year projection on a monthly basis and summarised on an annual basis;
- The model allows the user to model 3 separate revenue streams on a Price x Volume basis;
- Costs are split into: variable, fixed, staff and marking costs for better driver-based forecasting;
- Apart from projecting revenue and costs the tool includes the possibility to model receivables and payables, fixed assets, borrowings, dividends and corporate tax;
- Business Name, currency, starting projection period are fully customisable
- Revenue, Cost and Fixed Asset descriptions are fully customisable;
- The model includes the possibility to start mid-way through the first projection year;
- The model includes instructions, line item explanations, checks and input validations to help ensure input fields are populated accurately;
- The model includes a checks dashboard which summarises all the checks included in the various tabs making it easier to identify any errors.
If you require any be-spoke modifications to the tool, we are more than happy to assist with this. Please send us a message through the Eloquens site or contact us on: email@example.com
We are a small team of financial modelling professionals with experience working in Big 4 Business Modelling teams and strong experience supporting businesses with their financial planning and decision support needs. Our aim is to provide robust and easy-to-use tools that follow best practice financial modelling guidelines and assist individuals and businesses with common financial planning and analysis processes.
We are keen to make sure our customers are fully satisfied with the tools / models they purchase and will be more than happy to assist with any questions or support required following or in advance of purchase.
We are also always keen to receive feedback so please do let us know what you think of our products/offering by sending us a message or submitting a review.
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel Model
Acquire business license for $39.00
Add to cart
Add to bookmarks
To assist startup businesses with producing financial projections using a robust user-friendly template