Publication number: ELQ-71130-1
View all versions & Certificate
Startup Financial Model
A very simple financial model template that can be used to project website revenue.
"During my senior year of college, I created a college basketball website called Littyhoops.com. This was back in the dark ages before blogs were popular so it took a considerable amount of effort to get the website up and running and then maintain it. I learned a ton about the web from the experience. One thing that quickly became apparent was that it’s damn hard to make money off of a website unless you are super focused on driving revenue.
Recently, I’ve been helping a few friends think through there digital business ideas. One way to more fully comprehend a business opportunity is to create a simple pro forma income statement or business model. It’s practically impossible to predict what is going to happen with a new business so a model is used more for a framework to understand key drivers and help make informed decisions.
Most digital businesses derive revenue through E-Commerce (including affiliate fees), subscription products, or advertising revenue. Each of these revenue streams has a few key metrics that help project revenue. Once these drivers are recognized it helps clarify what exactly needs to happen to be successful. For example, digital advertising revenue is a product of visits, page views and CPM rate. A business model also provides a realistic projection of how long, and how much money, it will take to reach certain milestones (most notable profitable). This allows for better planning and cash flow management which is essential in the early stages before a business is profitable.
(...) While this model might not hold up in a meeting with a venture capitalist, it gets to the fundamentals of any website.
If you are in the process of creating a website, or are even thinking about it, play around with this and hit me up if you want to chat through it."
- Brian Litvack, 2010, www.blog.littyhoops.com
This Best Practice includes
1 excel model
Brian Livtack offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
4.6 / 5 (29 votes)
- Rate this Downloadable Best Practice
Write a review
- tubarao digital(last updated: 12/04/2021 00:49)
- Tibor Rusiňák(last updated: 23/12/2020 19:47)
- Mohamed Gamal Elmenshawy(last updated: 14/09/2020 13:54)
- Adib Basbous(last updated: 10/09/2020 07:55)
- Charles Ng(last updated: 27/08/2020 06:13)
- Katya de Magalhaes(last updated: 11/07/2020 20:39)
- Living Mex(last updated: 03/07/2020 21:38)
- Chalermsak Ninchuawong(last updated: 07/03/2020 10:45)
- Osama Samir(last updated: 06/02/2020 14:00)
- Tum(last updated: 05/12/2019 08:15)
- Toni Suárez(last updated: 12/10/2019 21:08)
- Melissa Wijngaarden(last updated: 28/09/2019 11:23)
- S Dhanani(last updated: 05/09/2019 01:35)
- gouchay(last updated: 03/08/2019 21:10)
- Bryan Park(last updated: 26/07/2019 02:26)
- Sidharth Mohanty(last updated: 16/05/2019 07:13)
- Vaibhav Chawla(last updated: 18/03/2019 18:10)
- Choi Tony(last updated: 19/02/2019 15:03)
- Vishnu Kumar(last updated: 19/01/2019 14:33)
- boosum(last updated: 13/12/2018 04:08)
- Hazem Moustafa Moussa(last updated: 08/09/2018 21:15)
- Eiad Al Saba(last updated: 06/09/2018 07:06)
- Safarudheen farook(last updated: 10/07/2018 21:19)
- wallezz indonesia(last updated: 27/05/2018 04:46)
- Amin Zahir(last updated: 24/05/2018 16:25)
- Enta Thedragon(last updated: 15/08/2017 12:16)
- Paraj Mathur(last updated: 04/07/2017 22:56)
- Putra Kesuma(last updated: 05/06/2017 09:07)
- Enyi Chukwudiebele(last updated: 24/05/2017 13:37)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Early Stage SaaS Financial ModelGet up to speed on a SaaS Financial Model with a template and its step by step instructionsfinancefinancial modelentrepreneurshipstartupsearly-stage7,380add_shopping_cartfreeby Brandon Marker
SaaS Model - Net Present Value for Simple Web BusinessA simple NPV model for you to evaluate the likelihood of success for your businessgrowthrevenuefinancenpvfinancial model2,995add_shopping_cartfreeby David Worrell
Sample Financial ModelTemplate for determining cost realities and financial projections for potential investors' demands.financesimplefinancial modelinvestorsstartups31,945add_shopping_cart$15.00by Marty Zwilling
Simplified Monthly vs Annual Pricing Effects on Cash FlowWhat is better for you in your SaaS Business, monthly or annual payment options?financefinancial modelstartupscash flow managementearly-stage4,062add_shopping_cartfreeby Nicholas Petroski
Two-Sided Marketplace Financial Excel ModelExcel Model and Explanatory PDF for a 2-Sided Marketplace focusing on a shared economy platform.revenuefinancial modelstartupstwo-sided marketplaceprojecting revenues5,968add_shopping_cartfreeby Justin Potts
Startup Financial Model TemplateA simple financial model for an early-stage startup/anyone building a model for a companyfinancefinancial modelentrepreneurshipstartupsearly-stage7,156add_shopping_cartfreeby David Teten
Internet Business Financial Model SIBM - SpartinaManage your Cash, Increase Startup Revenue & Grow your Profitsrevenuefinancefinancial modelstartupentrepreneurship2,514add_shopping_cartfreeby David Hehman
Early-Stage Startup Financial ModelBuild a financial model designed to save you from usual pitfalls (Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement, IS)income statementfinancial modelbalance sheetstartupsbest practice1,558add_shopping_cartfreeby Jeff Solomon
SaaS Model & KPIsA simple model to define and track your key metrics as a SaaS Startupbusiness modelfinancial modelstartupsearly-stagelifetime value2,562add_shopping_cartfreeby Ryan Carson
Ecommerce Financial Model, built in CausalModel an ecommerce or transaction business using key order metrics to create probabilistic forecasts.financial modelstartupsecommercetemplatecommerce1,165add_shopping_cartfreeby Taylor Davidson
Discussion feed for Startup Financial Model
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!
- Hello, downloaded this model. Sheet 2 and 3 are not showing. Your help is appreciated!arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply
- Hi Sofi!
Just checked the model. I think it is because Brian has only 1 sheet in the model, the other 2 sheets are blank because unused. It's true that in effect, they should probably be deleted for clarity purposes... :) Hope this helps!