Publication number: ELQ-98061-1
View all versions & Certificate
Financial Report Template: Waterfall Chart
Track your financial performance and forecast more efficiently
After facing a tough decision, to either go surf or to blog about my favourite financial reporting tool, I settled for an answer of “both”.
The downloadable tool below is a Waterfall Chart. It allows you to compare the actual performance across time periods (mostly, months or quarters) to your original Plan of Report, additionally to forecasts you have made along the way, as information became more available.
This template is designed to compress a ton of information into a concise format, and to provide management and board members with quick answers to key questions such as:
1. How are we performing compared to the plan? Against what we thought last time we re forecast?
2. What will our potential position be at the end of the fiscal year?
3. Are there improvements in regards to how well we predict our business?
Most of my companies that use this tool track 5-10 key metrics in this form. The usual metrics include:
o New bookings
o Cash on hand
o Operating expenses
o Net income
o Units sold or new customers acquired
o Some measure of deployed/live customers (if a lag exists between a sale and a live customer)
o For internet companies, some measure of the “top of the funnel” such as Unique Visitors or Page Views
Below you will find the online methodology. It includes information on how the tool works, as well as questions most entrepreneurs ask.
Feel free to add your constructive thoughts and feedback in the discussion feed below.
Even if you do or you do not agree with the financial reporting tool, I hope you give it a try and find it useful!
Now I can proceed to surfing…
(This content was originally published on vcwaves.com)
- Brian Ascher
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel sheet, 1 Online Methodology
Brian Ascher offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
4.4 / 5 (20 votes)
- Rate this Downloadable Best Practice
Write a review
- Suresh Kondur CMA, ACMA(last updated: 24/09/2020 05:04)
- Παπαζαχαρίου Πέτρος(last updated: 03/06/2020 20:06)
- Paul Eshun 192(last updated: 21/02/2020 10:14)
- Shepherd Musona(last updated: 13/01/2020 22:05)
- Kobe Kobson Motlhatlhedi(last updated: 15/04/2019 07:09)
- Safayet Hossain(last updated: 31/03/2019 23:19)
- Serkan Aktas(last updated: 06/02/2019 00:09)
- Luis Manuel González Nieto(last updated: 30/01/2019 15:45)
- John E. "Jed" Ervin(last updated: 14/01/2019 15:46)
- Abdul Ghafur BE, MCIOB, AClArb, CQS,610(last updated: 22/12/2018 10:22)
- Vu Diep(last updated: 03/12/2018 07:58)
- Philip Fraser-Cox(last updated: 05/11/2018 08:58)
- Shamsu Hamid(last updated: 25/10/2018 07:44)
- Scott Donald(last updated: 12/10/2018 07:28)
- fandi damore(last updated: 27/09/2018 14:25)
- Ramzi Qasmieh(last updated: 27/09/2018 08:44)
- Antoine Arbuckle(last updated: 25/09/2018 15:33)
- Margery Llanes(last updated: 05/09/2018 06:24)
- Taz Kwari(last updated: 13/06/2018 11:33)
- Steven Crowthers(last updated: 23/05/2018 18:54)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Debt/Loan Refinancing Analysis Excel ToolUser-friendly Excel tool to calculate financial impacts of refinancing a portfolio of debt/loan facilitiesfinancialtoolmodeldebtexcel784add_shopping_cart
Enhanced Generic Startup Financial Projection 3 statement Excel ModelUser-friendly generic model for preparing a 5-year financial projection for a startup businessfinancialincome statementprojectionmodelforecast972add_shopping_cart$40.00by Projectify
Generic Startup Financial Projection 3 statement Excel ModelUser-friendly model for preparing a financial projection for a startup businessfinancialincome statementprojectionmodelforecast5,985add_shopping_cart
Marketplace KPI Excel DashboardDesigned to evaluate a marketplace organisation's performance.performancestartupventure capitaldashboardkpi5,614add_shopping_cartfreeby Version One
Financial Model Template for StartupsTell the story of your business in numerical terms.financialmodelsimplestartupstartups2,958add_shopping_cartfreeby Vince Scafaria
How to Create a Real Estate Marketing Report with Sample TemplateMeasure the following 8 metrics to track the success of your marketing performance and learn to build a marketing reportsalesreportmarketingkpismetrics3,155add_shopping_cartfreeby Bob Samii
Cash Model Template for StartupsTemplate to forecast your startup's cash expenditure, cash-flow as well as downside potential.modelforecaststartuptemplateexcel1,895add_shopping_cartfreeby Tim Raybould
Financial Model for Mobile Payment StartupIncludes assumptions page, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement and valuation sheet.income statementfinancemodelbalance sheetstartup3,326add_shopping_cartfreeby Tayfun Uslu
Simple GANTT Chart Template for Kick-offsThe GANTT chart template used by Paua Ventures to kick off meetings with our new investments.ganttchartinvestorstemplateexcel1,366add_shopping_cartfreeby Federico Wengi
Balance Sheet - Excel Model TemplateThis is a professional Balance Sheet Excel template, used to help value a company.financialmodelbalance sheettemplateexcel270add_shopping_cartfreeby Wall Street Oasis
Any questions on Financial Report Template: Waterfall Chart?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!