Publication number: ELQ-17001-1
View all versions & Certificate
Real-Estate Investment Excel Calculator
This tool will help newcomers to real-estate investment evaluate and analyse their potential real-estate investments.
This spreadsheet is an essential tool for anyone getting involved in real-estate investment.
This Excel Tool is broken down into five simple steps, making it incredibly easy to use and follow. These steps are: Finding the Net Operating Income, finding the Cap Rate, calculating appreciation 5 years past and 5 years future, financing and "cashflow", followed by the discounted cashflow, net present value and the net rate of return.
The first step of this tool will help you to calculate the overall profit that a property could generate, accounting for the total rent received and all of the possible fees to be paid. This will help you to calculate a yearly profit level for each individual property.
The second step will allow you to calculate and estimate the potential income of a property relative to its price. The tool will show you how you can calculate the cap rate for each of your properties, and show you what kind of numbers you should be looking for in your property investment.
The third step will help you identify potential real-estate investments that could be hugely profitable. Teddy suggests calculating the appreciation of a property over the past 5 years and using this, estimate its potential appreciation over the next five years. He demonstrates how you can find out a property's appreciation over the past 5 years and then how it can be applied to its current price to estimate its future appreciation. This process is absolutely essential in real estate property investment as it allows you to identify properties that could have huge potential.
The fourth step of this template will help you to plan the financing of your property investments. This will allow you to estimate what % of a property's price you can put down and what % of the property's price you will need to take out as a loan. This will allow you to calculate further expenses of your property's based on the monthly repayments of your loans. This step will also give you the chance to calculate the cashflow of your property. Teddy also demonstrates several other "fancy and useful metrics", such as the cash-on-cash return, operating expense ratio and debt coverage ratio. Teddy explains all of these different metrics and shows how they can be calculated and applied to your investments.
The final step of this tool will allow you to fully understand discounted cash flow, net present value and the internal rate of return. Through the input of your own information and data and information regarding your real-estate investment, this tool will calculate your DCF, NPV and IRR and your overall discount rate.
This tool is incredibly useful for those interested in real-estate investment. It will allow you to project and estimate the outcomes of different property investments based on several different factors. Therefore, it will allow you to establish which properties could be worth investment. Each step also comes with an incredibly simple explanation of what it is and how it can be used to help your investments, making this an essential for newcomers to the property market.
This Best Practice includes
1 Excel Spreadsheet
Teddy Smith offers you this Best Practice for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
4.7 / 5 (55 votes)
- Rate this Downloadable Best Practice
Write a review
- Wayne Greenhalgh(last updated: 25/07/2021 08:55)
- Dave Kelly343(last updated: 28/02/2021 20:57)
- John Cracco(last updated: 04/02/2021 09:31)
- Etta Thorpe(last updated: 28/01/2021 23:06)
- mamoun essam(last updated: 28/12/2020 09:52)
- Fanny Leung(last updated: 02/12/2020 14:53)
- Adib Basbous(last updated: 10/09/2020 07:54)
- Javed Siraj(last updated: 22/07/2020 09:44)
- Sp K(last updated: 20/07/2020 06:30)
- Mariam Collier(last updated: 18/07/2020 00:32)
- Sami Al Mazidi(last updated: 20/06/2020 15:32)
- Mashilo Pitjeng(last updated: 24/05/2020 18:35)
- Diego Muro, CAIA(last updated: 07/05/2020 20:31)
- Jack Avon(last updated: 24/04/2020 15:30)First Class
- Mohammed Abu Mosameh(last updated: 16/04/2020 11:27)
- Fredrick oloo(last updated: 20/02/2020 12:11)
- Asyraf Shamsudin(last updated: 07/12/2019 05:21)
- marmah hadi(last updated: 03/12/2019 06:31)
- john85331(last updated: 22/11/2019 22:57)
- Vivek Kulshestha(last updated: 06/10/2019 18:30)
- Vladimir Petropoljac(last updated: 23/08/2019 08:57)
- pj jurilla(last updated: 05/07/2019 15:37)
- Alexandr Surtayev(last updated: 15/06/2019 12:28)
- Alia Kasey(last updated: 15/06/2019 06:43)
- Ray Treurniet(last updated: 29/05/2019 23:15)
- Sri Challapalli(last updated: 25/04/2019 06:25)
- Aiga Galvane(last updated: 03/04/2019 22:15)
- 현성 나(last updated: 20/03/2019 17:54)
- georges manna(last updated: 04/03/2019 15:41)
- James Morrell(last updated: 19/02/2019 18:19)
People using this Best Practice also downloaded
Commercial Real Estate Acquisition Model - UnprotectedAdvanced Real Estate Model, for a professional DCF Valuation of Office, Industrial or Retail Propertiesmodelnpvirrreal estatefinancial model1,065add_shopping_cart$99.00by Julian Scheeff
Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) Analysis with IRR and NPVSeveral spreadsheets that can be used for the analysis of a real estate investment from various perspectivesacquisitionfinancecash flownpvirr16,318add_shopping_cartfreeby Norm Miller PhD
Multifamily Development Model Built-to-SellThis is a ready-to-use multifamily development model in Microsoft Excel Built-to-sell scenarionpvirrreal estateroipro forma305add_shopping_cart
Real Estate Rental Property Investment (03 Properties or Less)This is a comprehensive yet very friendly financial model for Rental Property Investment (Multiple properties)npvirrdcfreal estatefinancial modeling40add_shopping_cart$59.00by ee2604
Prime Multifamily Development Pro Forma Model with Commercial UnitsAn extended version of my Multifamily Development Modelnpvirrdcfwaterfallcash flow projection216add_shopping_cart
Real Estate Multi Family Development Excel ModelReal Estate Financial Model to evaluate a development project, with Equity Waterfall and Advanced Scenarios Modelingirrreal estatenoiexcelreal estate finance2,989add_shopping_cart$40.00by Jair Almeida
Commercial Real Estate Excel Model TemplateA complete & thorough Commercial Real Estate Model for you to adapt and use for your own usage.investmentscash flowirrleveragereal estate1,285add_shopping_cart$60.00by Big4WallStreet
Real Estate Excel ModelComprehensive excel model for tracking and projecting the finances of your real estate investments.real estatefinancial modelingreal estate financereal estate investmentreal estate financial model1,425add_shopping_cart$50.00by Prof. Ed Bodmer
Real Estate Acquisition DCF ValuationDCF Valuation, One-Page Cash Flow Modelcash flowirrdcffinancial modelreal estate finance80add_shopping_cart$30.00by Oksana Babenka
Simplified Multifamily Development Model - Buil-to-Sell ScenarioShort Multifamily Development Model for Screening And Fast Evaluationfeasibilityvaluationcash flowirrfinancial model40add_shopping_cart$40.00by Oksana Babenka
Discussion feed for Real-Estate Investment Excel Calculator
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!
- Teddy, the spreadhsset you have is missing year 3 between rows 124 and 135. was this error?arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply
- Teddy, looking through your sheet I've mentioned DCF-initial investmentsNPV. So what's the difference between NPV and DCF if it's not an initial investment?arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply