Last version published: 16/03/2018 16:32
Publication number: ELQ-40663-4
View all versions & Certificate
Sample Financial Model
Template for determining cost realities and financial projections for potential investors' demands.
Most entrepreneurs forget about the finance aspect of their business, and as a result, they underestimate their cost realities and investor expectations. However it is important to keep in mind that, in reality, it’s like taking a long drive with no destination in mind. Chances are, you won’t enjoy success from the trip.
When it comes to a financial model, in most cases, it is merely a Microsoft Excel spread sheet loaded with your cost and revenue projections for your startup; starting now and extending at least five years into the future. To increase its value, a few variables can be added – like product volume growth rate and number of salesmen – for “what if” analyses.
Why do we need it then?
For you to make decisions and manage the business – as well as recording a whole lot of information we couldn’t possibly store all in our heads– to decide whether and when the business is going to be profitable given rational projections of costs and income (these assumptions are referred to as your business model). Secondarily, potential investors will require it to validate how much money you need to get started as well as how much return they can expect on their investment.
But when would it be needed? The financial model should be running before you incorporate the business and build prototype products (would you start driving your car on a long trip before you knew where you were going?). Without knowing your objective, try not to approach potential investors until your model is working – investors are not very tolerant towards startups that have no financial plan.
How do we start using it? Download the free sample model that I built for a specific startup, with elements suggested by angel investors and venture capitalists, ready to be customized to your business.
With the results of the model, you can have financial projections that allow you to see areas of strength and weakness in your proposed business model, enabling you to make critical changes that will allow your business to run more successfully.
This business tool includes
1 Excel Model
Marty Zwilling offers you this business tool for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
Ultimately, you can make financial projections that allow you to see areas of strength and weakness in your proposed business model.
- Gunnar Thorderson(last updated: 26/04/2018 07:31)
- Megha Bhadouria(last updated: 25/04/2018 13:09)
- DanAA(last updated: 25/04/2018 09:11)
- Hanz Hargianto(last updated: 24/04/2018 17:50)
- John V. Culver(last updated: 24/04/2018 04:39)
- Liyaquat Ali(last updated: 21/04/2018 11:40)
- Francesco Bianchi(last updated: 21/04/2018 08:50)
- Ravi Kumar Karri(last updated: 17/04/2018 07:14)
- First Ride Bike (FRB)597(last updated: 03/04/2018 12:04)
- Kevin Fernandes(last updated: 01/04/2018 16:07)
- Saifali Jamadar(last updated: 01/04/2018 08:06)
- Koustav Banerjee(last updated: 19/03/2018 09:29)
- Arbind Deb(last updated: 06/03/2018 03:28)
- Paya Danesh(last updated: 25/02/2018 09:47)
- Juan Felipe Mosquera Buitrago(last updated: 09/02/2018 00:02)
- suraj tiwari(last updated: 29/01/2018 17:40)good
- Moses Adekoje(last updated: 25/01/2018 03:10)Great
- Шарипжан Алимжанов(last updated: 23/01/2018 05:44)
- Sakariyah Abdulrasheed Adekunle ACA(last updated: 11/01/2018 09:20)
- Alfonso Cioffi(last updated: 31/12/2017 14:24)
- Jane Uzunovski(last updated: 25/12/2017 13:01)Great work on this Sample Financial Model!
- n soebagio(last updated: 21/12/2017 09:40)
- Zaid Zamanda(last updated: 19/12/2017 19:27)
- Peter O'Carroll(last updated: 12/11/2017 10:37)
- Arshid Kamal(last updated: 23/10/2017 13:54)Great Work
- Nguyen Vananh(last updated: 15/10/2017 14:49)Thank you!
- Enta Thedragon(last updated: 15/08/2017 12:16)
- Doris Hsiao(last updated: 22/06/2017 00:40)
- Putra Kesuma(last updated: 05/06/2017 09:07)
- Alexandr Marchenko(last updated: 24/04/2017 11:04)
People using this tool also downloaded
Startup Financial Model TemplateA simple financial model for an early-stage startup/anyone building a model for a companyfinancefinancial modelentrepreneurshipstartupsearly-stageend-to-endstandard financial statementsventure capitalkey operating metricsraising capital3,310 remove_red_eyefreeby David Teten
Early Stage SaaS Financial ModelGet up to speed on a SaaS Financial Model with a template and its step by step instructionsfinancefinancial modelentrepreneurshipstartupsearly-stageraising capitalbusiness modelingsaasseedseries a1,833 remove_red_eye
Freemium Business ModelCustomize a ready-made financial model for your Freemium Web Services Businessfinancemodelingfinancial modelstartupsventure capitalraising capitalfreemiumuser acquisitionuser activationentrepreneur2,144 remove_red_eye
Simplified Monthly vs Annual Pricing Effects on Cash FlowWhat is better for you in your SaaS Business, monthly or annual payment options?financefinancial modelstartupscash flow managementearly-stagesaasmonthlyannualpayment optionsbiling697 remove_red_eye
SaaS Financial ModelA simple 12-month SaaS financial model customisable to your startup precise conditions and needs.financefinancial modelstartupearly-stageraising capitalsaasassumptionsmrrcacarr1,639 remove_red_eye
How to Distribute Startup Equity (The Smart Way)This video outlines what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to startup equity, and how to split it the smart way.financeequityinvestorsstartupsearly-stageentrepreneur12 remove_red_eyefreeby Dan Martell
S3's Operating Model TemplatePrecise calculator for business expenses, overall cash needs and revenue model.financestartupsearly-stageventure capitalraising capitaloperationsbusiness expensesrevenue modelbusiness kpiscash needs741 remove_red_eyefreeby S3 Ventures
Cap Table TemplateThis Cap Table template perfect for first-time entrepreneurs to list a company's securities.financestartupinvestorsventure capitalraising capitalcap tableshareholdersfounderscontrol299 remove_red_eye
Liquidation Model - Waterfall AnalysisEducate employees, founders, and others in how liquidation preferences affect financial distribution in exit scenariosfinancestartupsventure capitalraising capitalliquidation preferencesfinancial distributionventuresexitsliquidation modelwaterfall analysis1,737 remove_red_eye
SaaS Financial PlanA financial plan template for SaaS startups based on a model created for Zendeskroadmapsalesmarketingfinancemodelstartupsraising capitalsaaschartsfinancial plan3,580 remove_red_eye
Any questions on Sample Financial Model?
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!