Publication number: ELQ-15112-1
View all versions & Certificate
Rental Property Investment Model
A model for calculating returns on rental properties
This model can be used by investors to calculate the returns on a rental property. It calculates monthly and annual returns and ratios, and a monthly and yearly sensitivity analysis.
Users must define the following key inputs:
- Purchase details
- Monthly rent
- Operating expenses.
Note: You are welcome to report any errors or any suggestion for improvement. I will earnestly consider all your valuable input
This business tool includes
1 Excel Model
Amit Tandon offers you this business tool for free!
download for free
Add to bookmarks
Allows investors to manage a rental property and calculate returns.
- Kantapong Sajjachaiyanont(last updated: 15/05/2018 11:38)
- Vivek Malviya(last updated: 11/05/2018 18:26)
- Emmanuel De'Mzee(last updated: 11/05/2018 08:45)
- TFA Consultant(last updated: 11/05/2018 01:20)
- Tony Intal(last updated: 10/05/2018 09:02)
- DIEGO PARRA(last updated: 26/04/2018 16:45)
- Gia Hy Le Pham(last updated: 20/04/2018 12:17)
- Mohammed Halaseh(last updated: 12/03/2018 12:53)
- Mustafa Hashmi(last updated: 21/02/2018 04:46)
- Matteo Cattaneo(last updated: 25/01/2018 08:39)
- Alex Peter Kigenza(last updated: 22/01/2018 08:05)
- Dr. Michael Samonas(last updated: 29/09/2017 16:13)
- Mwangi Mutiso(last updated: 18/07/2017 10:48)
- Raffaella Pirrello(last updated: 02/05/2017 14:11)
People using this tool also downloaded
Cash Flow Waterfall ModelA cash flow model for Real Estate based on a waterfall structurefinancecash flowreal estatewaterfallinvestordeveloper4,789 remove_red_eye
Commercial Real Estate Financial ModelCompute a Commercial Real Estate Valuation and Financial Feasibility of your Investment Project - excel modelinvestmentfinancereal estateassumptionsproject financeproperty valuation2,794 remove_red_eyefreeby Will Ferrigno
Valuation of an Income Generating Property - Excel ModelThis Excel Valuation Model can be used to value property generating income.investmentfinancevaluationmanagementproperty886 remove_red_eye
What's The Best Way To Structure Insurance In Different Deals?Joe Crumps explains the best ways of structuring insurance for different deals.financereal estatepropertylandlordreal estate financeinsuranceproperty ownerland contractsNew!
Property Mortgage CalculatorModel for calculating and tracking mortgage repaymentsbudgetfinanceinterestreal estatemortgagepropertypaymet schedule421 remove_red_eye
How To Structure A Deal With A Seller To Make Finding A Buyer A BreezeJoe Crump explains how to structure a deal that would be highly attractive to the potential buyer.financereal estatepropertybuyerssellerszero down dealleaseNew!
Band Mortgage Equity Capitalization or Atkerson format EllwoodIncorporate and understand a financing's impact on value and compute the cap rate.financereal estatemortgageassumptionsellwoodcapitalizationcap ratenoiatkerson347 remove_red_eye
Stock Analysis Excel ModelAnalyze past company performance and arrive at its intrinsic value in 30 minutes or lessinvestmentfinancemodelvaluationexcelstock analysisperformance analysisfinancial markets1,496 remove_red_eye
Real Estate Excel ModelA Real Estate Financial Model where new property owners purchase their houses outrightfinancereal estatefinancial modelproceedstown housereturnsenior debtmezzanine debt2,613 remove_red_eye
Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) Analysis with IRR and NPVSeveral spreadsheets that can be used for the analysis of a real estate investment from various perspectivesacquisitionfinancecash flownpvirrdcfreal estatefinancial analysisinvestingdiscounted cash flow6,930 remove_red_eye
Discussion feed for Rental Property Investment Model
The user community and author are here to help. Go ahead!
- Hi there!
I was pleased to find you amazing rental property investment model on Eloquens.
There seems to be an error and I'm not sure how to resolve it. It is on the first sheet, the input sheet, A9 reads "downpayment". But this error shows up:
Unknown range name: 'LEVERAGED_PROPERTY'.
I can send you a screenshot, I'm sure I'm missing something banal but cannot seem to resolve it.1arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply
- Hi Faiz, Cell A9 contains the text "Down Payment" whereas cell B9 contains the formula "=IF(leveraged_property,total_initial_cost-loan_amount,total_initial_cost)" which refers to Named ranges. Please ensure that no cells / fields have been deleted or "Names" have not been changed in the "Name Manager" (viz. "leveraged_property"). You may retry by downloading a fresh copy of the model, and it should work fine.
- Hi Amit, thanks for the quick response. Yup it was just a problem with the transfer into google sheets, it's totally fine in Excel.
The project I'm working on is community housing so the end period so I'm assuming that the terminal value should be based on appreciation and not capitalisation. By the way, how do you suggest I account for capitalisation.. should it simply be net revenue as a percentage of the evaluated price or the purchase price (big difference).
Our terminal year is the year we refinance, so I'm guessing the cost of sale is 0% since there isn't a sale after all...
How do you recommend we draw the model out for the length of the amortization, I'd like to see what the numbers look like 25 years down the line.
And last question! I'm really confused about MIRR... I think the purpose of this is to account for the greater value of surplus over debt.. but in our case we will not have any surplus as we are 100% leveraged (our down payment is made up of patient debt that gets paid through our annual surplus). And If we need to incur debt it will be at the same rate as our mortgage rate... Basically not sure what number to punch in there...
Thank you so much! This model has been so helpful as we are community organizers and don't have the financial expertise to build our projections from scratch. If you want to learn more about our project, check it out here:
- oops, typo what i meant by end period is that there isn't an end period, our business model is based purely rental and patient low-interest financing. Our objective is to take the property off the market, so we can't account for income from sales, only refinancing to ease debt load after X years, I'm not sure what year that is so I want to build a model that runs throughout the amortization period to be sure that it works.
- Oh and please let me know if you want to be credited for the model, i would be happy to do so!
- Hi Faiz, let me check in detail. Thks1arrow_drop_uparrow_drop_downReply reply