Last version published: 07/09/2022 12:06
Publication number: ELQ-78031-16
View all versions & Certificate
M&A Buy-Side Target Screening Nine-Box Matrix - PowerPoint & Excel Model
A 9-box and 4 quadrant matrix template for M&A Target Screening, editable in Microsoft PowerPoint.
In M&A (Mergers & Acquisitions) operations, one of the first missions is to define a long list of potential targets. One Best Practice is to visualise them on a Matrix to narrow down the list according to the Business Objective of the acquirer (i.e. Your Company).
To to this, I have created a Target Screening Matrix Template enabling to strategically position a large number of targets from multiple industries.
There are 2 major axis in the matrix.
->Target Business Compatibility with Company X
- Strategy (Portfolio Management, Allocation of Resources, Organizational Design, etc.)
- Markets (Overlap, Competitive Position, Expansion Potential, etc.)
- Culture (Performance Reward System, Conflict Tolerance, People Orientation, etc.)
- Location (Accessibility, Political Stability, Office Quality, etc.)
->Target Business Attractiveness
- Size (Turnover, Headcount, Valuation, etc.)
- Financials (P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, etc.)
- Global Strategy (Ambition, Investments, Operational Capabilities, etc.)
- Team (Leadership, Managers, Diversity, etc.)
- Assets (Equipment, Building, Key People, etc.)
- Sales (Growth Rate, Accounts, Pipeline, etc.)
- Technology (Digital, R&D, Equipment, etc.)
Each Target has a score calculated from the weighted average scores of each parameter & sub-parameter. An Excel File attached will enable you to choose your Parameters, Sub-Parameters, Weights and scores.
This leads to 9 potential strategic outcomes/options:
- Buy Unicorn (High - High)
- Re-Position (Medium - High)
- Buy & Create New Business Unit (Low - High)
- Re-Structure (High - Medium)
- Buy Assets (High - Low)
- Re-Structure & Re-Position (Medium - Medium)
- Buy A Selection of Assets (Medium - Low)
- Re-Structure & Sell (Low - Medium)
- No Go Zone (Low - Low)
The M&A Team can then decided to make a focus on one or more boxes to go into short list analysis.
The file is 2 editable Microsoft PowerPoint Template Slides (one 4 quadrant matrix, and one 9-box matrix) with an online or offline 18 step-by-step methodology, with pedagogical illustrations for each step. An editable Excel file to adapt the data points for each target company is included in the PowerPoint file.
Should you have any questions on using this top tier Management/Strategy Consulting Framework Template slide, you're welcome to reach out to me via Private Message.
⭐️ Bundle of 23 Commercial Due-Diligence Model Templates (including this one): https://www.eloquens.com/tool/QQ2gHk3J/strategy/due-diligence-templates/m-a-mergers-acquisitions-commercial-due-diligence-cdd-models-templates-and-frameworks-bundle
⭐️ Bundle of 8 Nine-Box Matrix Templates (including this one): https://www.eloquens.com/tool/wQkjsE2N/strategy/nine-box-matrix-templates/nine-box-matrix-frameworks-template-bundle
This Best Practice includes
2 PowerPoint Slides Template + 1 Online 18 Step-By-Step Methodology + 1 Excel Only Version
Acquire business license for $7.00
Add to cart
Add to bookmarks